Self Control, Willpower exercises

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by rollsafe, Mar 31, 2008.

1. rollsafe

rollsafe

Hi

I need some exercises, techniques to increase willpower and self-control, any recomendations ?

Thanks

2. Yeah

*Go on a strict diet
    *Take something you enjoy, like watching tv, or whatever, and stop doing it for a month

3. Cutten

Cutten

Don't masturbate, scratch your bum, or pick your nose for a month. If you can manage that, then you have more willpower than 99% of the male population.

- the Dalai Lama.

4. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Impossible, can't be done

5. I don't do any of those things and I still haven't been successful in being disciplined in trading.

6. Trade Smaller. As someone once said, "sell down to the sleeping point."

Psychology gimmicks won't cover over poor trading techniques

7. Why?

What do you have problems with?

8. Then, start masturbating, go pick your bum and your nose, but maybe not in that order....

9. A couple of suggestions and they are a bit controversial so take them with a grain of salt.

1. Make your actions accountable to someone other than yourself. Someone who has a financial stake in your success besides you. Tell as many ppl. you can about your plan and what you will do if you don't follow through. Put yourself at stake.

2. There should be consequences for breaking the rules, just like when you were a kid or an adult. This should be written in your trading plan.

3. A bit drastic but look up forced behavior modification, guranteed to change you behavior whether you like it or not. I am not advocating it but I have seen studies, I studied both Soc. and Psych, and it works although many view it as torture.

4. I believe in the power of positive thinking. I have seen it work first hand That said ppl., in general, are more motivated by pain the by pleasure. Why do you think mafia is such a successful business model? Why do you think terrorism works? For the record they are both horrible and dispicable ( check spelling).

What ever happened to spell check on ET, it's missing? :confused:

10. Smoking, excessive eating, laziness, procrastination or lack of assertiveness can help you overcome a dull and dry existience of self control and will power.

People sometimes say or do things they later regret saying or doing. On many occasions people do not think before they talk or act. This could happen to you with a small dose of will power and self control. Stay home, relax, watch tv, stay off the streets and out of trouble.

#10     Mar 31, 2008