Self-checking-stock-picking-skills (II)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by themickey, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Which bear ETF do you refer to? An equity index inverse ETF?

#21     Oct 19, 2017
  2. themickey

themickey

#22     Oct 19, 2017
    HobbyTrading likes this.
  3. #23     Oct 19, 2017
  4. themickey

themickey

Yes, will run the trend up on BEAR.
    SPI atm is dropping like a rock. :)
    Nasdaq futures down 1% atm

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    #24     Oct 19, 2017
  5. themickey

themickey

Normally I would shy away shorting the markets but when Dow gapped up last night on 23,000, the temptation was too great. A blow off top like I have never seen one... imo. Too good not to participate in a short, well a very low risk opportunity I feel.

#25     Oct 19, 2017
  6. themickey

themickey

Day 10, two more days to go to the end of exercise.
    Gold once again impacting on results, XGD gold index down 0.7% today, however portfolio still made a gain for the day. Metals X (copper play) saved our bacon by running up 6.3% today.
    ET10.PNG

#26     Oct 20, 2017
  7. themickey

themickey

Day 11 and 1 more day to go.
    Gold index XGD down 0.6% and XAO market index down 0.2% today.
    The portfolio still managed to gain today 0.08%.
    Metals X which for the first 6 days could not get ahead, is now up nearly 20%.
    If gold could just pull out of the doldrums.....which it will but perhaps too late.
    ORE by the way is 8th most heavily shorted stock on the ASX market, shorted 12.75% with 15 days to cover.
    In real life, still holding BEAR ETF, sitting with no gain or loss, am still anticipating markets to be rolling over very shortly, ie we have peaked for the meantime imo.
    ET11.PNG

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    #27     Oct 23, 2017
  8. themickey

themickey

Day 12 and final day of exercise.
    We had some respite from gold today, XGD (ASX gold index) up 1.6% while XAO market up 0.1%.
    I was hoping for a better result from that of Exercise 1 on conclussion, however gold which I thought would shine didn't.
    In this exercise, 50% of gold stocks did not make money in the 12 days.
    As mentioned on another occasion, Gold is a difficult sector to trade, very fickle and full of surprises, often to the downside.
    Nevertheless, we managed finally to beat the market return but not as much as hoped.
    ET12.PNG

#28     Oct 24, 2017