seeking the best Java real-time tick data level trading platform?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by mizhael, Oct 12, 2008.

1. I hate to state this knowing that Java-lovers would jump after me the very next second, but Java was never intended for any near real-time data processing by design. You'll be killed by garbage collections at the worst possible moments (under heavy load), not mentioning other virtual machine overhead. Again, for most trading systems Java is fine, but not for high-performance real-time systems like market making/arb strategies.

#11     Oct 12, 2008
  2. rosy2

rosy2

there isnt one. you write it yourself using different APIs. howdo you think this program your looking for would know how to process the data?

#12     Oct 12, 2008
  3. rosy2

rosy2

i am not a java lover but I need to point out that you're wrong. theres a few firms I know of in Chicago that use java and are high frequency. Others are going the csharp route. Its usually some guy that has no clue whats needed that always thinks C++ is the only way.

#13     Oct 12, 2008
  4. The clueless one is you that have absolutely no expertise nor experience.

Having 13+ years of experience in C++/high-frequency trading systems, I've build C++ high-frequency trading system by myself from the ground. It took me one full year to do that. But I know what I'm doing since I know it can crunch huge amount of data real-time and in back test mode, and will scale very well as amount of market data increases year after year.

Do something by yourself, get some real experience, and then we'll talk.

#14     Oct 12, 2008
  5. I am very curious to know how high frequency they are doing with Java?

I know C++ is faster, and I have some experience with it, and C is even faster. For example, your networking protocol is fundamentally in C.

But I also know Java is easier to manage, so if Java suffices, I would like to take the easier route... of course.

And if you look around, you see there are more open source Java trading program than C++ program.

#15     Oct 12, 2008
  6. Davdse

Davdse

And how recent is your experience with Java?

#16     Oct 13, 2008
  7. rosy2

rosy2

great. i have been doing this sine mid 90s. was your work for a firm or for yourself? yes, a lot of firms use c++ but thats because of legacy and ignorance. java and csharp are just faster to develop in and thats what matters. you are always changing the code...hacking.

#17     Oct 15, 2008
  8. rosy2

rosy2

market making in 5000 equities.

#18     Oct 15, 2008
  9. You must be kidding me. Faster to develop? This absolutely great philosophy! C# and Java for real-time high frequency trading systems. Hmmm... Best of luck to you guys!

#19     Oct 15, 2008
  10. I agree with Rosy on this one. Well coded Java is adequate to the task.

You've been doing high-frequency C++ trading since 1988? I find that a little difficult to believe as most markets had no STP-style electronic execution whatsoever at that time. With what firm? Through which clearers? I suspect you are FOS.

What firm are you with now?

#20     Oct 15, 2008