seeking multi-monitor advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tr51, Jan 20, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

NO... you login only once on one computer for your trading platform and put "other things" on the 2nd one. You don't need "everything" logged-in on both computers at the same time.

My trading platform is not tied to data or charting.. is yours?

#71     Feb 25, 2008
  2. Gotta tell you...I'd send the computer back. Spend a little more money on the T3400. You can get them on the "rebuilt site" as well. I'm currently running 4 monitors on my t3400 with 2 PCIe x16 NVS 290s. In the end it's considerably cheaper than that $200 per month you're talking about.

OldTrader

#72     Feb 25, 2008
  3. Yes, it is.

#73     Feb 25, 2008
  4. I am checking into the T3400 as we speak.
    Just hope my 21-day return policy still is intact and that I haven't gone past . . .

#74     Feb 25, 2008
  5. My guess is you create enough rukus, they take it back regardless. Especially if you get something else from them.

OldTrader

#75     Feb 25, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

With your trading platform tied to charting and data, your best option for those things will probably be as others have suggested... T3400 with dual 290s. You can still have "other things" on your 8300 and divide the load so your other computer is less likely to bog down.

#76     Feb 25, 2008
  7. Agreed 100%

By the way, Dell was great!

They even offered me $50 to hold onto my system, but I still had to decline. The 21-days starts on the shipping date, and I was a couple of days past, but they were cool with it.

Onto the T3400!
    :p

#77     Feb 25, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

In spite of your aggravation, it's been good info for all of us. Never would have thought you'd be unable to add additional video cards to a modern mobo.... Then again, the Vostro DOES have onboard video, and they probably never figured it much for running 4 monitors.

Now we know...

#78     Feb 25, 2008
  9. One FINAL NOTE about this treasure hunt . . .

Remember how I put the eVGA GeForce 6200 PCI card in the PCI slot of my Dimension 8300 all by itself and without the FX-5700 AGP card and the 6200 worked fine? The computer powered "on" and windows booted with no issues whatsoever?

Well, I put the GeForce FX-5700 back into the AGP slot ( with the 6200 in the PCI slot ) and low and behold, the Dell Dimension 8300 powers "on" but will not boot-up windows!

UN-fuckingbelievable!

I'll never ever recommend eVGA video cards ever again!

:mad:

#79     Feb 25, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

It's ALWAYS a risk to use "3rd Party" cards when you mix brands and models. If you're going to mix brands, it's essential they be "genuine" brand models.

Of course, the safest thing to do is use cards designed for multi-card... like the NVS Quadro 285/290 and 280 PCI, or Matrox Millennium. (Matrox has a new line which looks almost identical to Nvidia Quadro NVS.)

#80     Feb 26, 2008