seeking multi-monitor advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tr51, Jan 20, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

The reason I suggested it is because someone only a few days ago claimed he ran an 8800 with a 280 PCI and it worked just fine. I'll try to look around and see if I can find the post..

#41     Feb 22, 2008
  2. Understood.
    Thanks.

#42     Feb 22, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

I haven't been able to find it, but I remember asking which driver he used and he said the one for the NVS...

#43     Feb 22, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

#44     Feb 22, 2008
  5. I just tried installing the GeForce 6200 in the PCI-slot all by itself with no card in the PCI-Express slot.

Computer still fails to power on.
    :(

Either I have yet another "dead" 6200 PCI card, or I have some "dead" PCI-slots on my new Dell Vostro-400 motherboard.

I will now install the 6200 PCI card into my old Dell Dimension 8300 in order to see if it powers up or not.

This will tell me if it is in fact another "dead" card that I am dealing with ( from eVGA ), or if it is a PCI-slot issue on my new Dell Vostro-400's mobo.

Stay tuned.

#45     Feb 22, 2008
  6. When you installed the latest 6200 did you delete all the existing drivers?

OldTrader

#46     Feb 22, 2008
  7. No, I did not.
    I simply installed the latest drivers from NVidia.

This is a brand new computer, and for what it's worth the same drivers that drive the 8600 GTS ( 8-series ) also drive the 6200 that I was trying to install in my PCI-slot.

#47     Feb 22, 2008
  8. I just installed the GeForce 6200 PCI card into the PCI-slot of my old Dell Dimension 8300 ( after taking out the GeForce FX-5700 that I had in the AGP slot ). This old trusty Dell has worked fine for years supporting 3 monitors via an old GeForce MX-440 PCI slot card.

Guess what?
    The computer powered up fine, and so did Windows XP with the GeForce 6200.

Looks like I have "dead" PCI slots in my brand new Dell Vostro-400.

It only took me about 8 hours to trouble-shoot all of this crap!
    :mad:

Looks like Dell will be sending out a tech to install a brand new motherboard at my home at no cost to me.

Unreal.

#48     Feb 22, 2008
  9. does the pc beep? maybe you should try to reset the bios manually on the motherboard or check to see if the "power on self test" in the bois is enabled.
    if it beeps check the beep codes to see what the problem is(hardware failer).
    if it does not beep then either manually reset bios or put another card in the that works and look through your bios to make sure either the "post" is enabled and/or the pci bus is enabled etc. also disable onboard video if it is an option(should be auto but disable anyway if you can) etc.
    i haven't looked into this in a few years so do a little homework so see if anything has changed when it comes to new motherboard configurations. hope that helps if you haven't tried already.

#49     Feb 22, 2008
  10. The PC does not beep.
    And yes, I did enable the PCI-Express as my "Initial Display First" in the Advanced Chipset Feature of my BIOS.

Not sure about the PCI bus being enabled in the BIOS.
    I will see if I can check that.
    Thanks.

#50     Feb 22, 2008