seeking multi-monitor advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tr51, Jan 20, 2008.

1. tr51

tr51

***************The only issue is that there just aren't many PCI slot cards out there anymore. May I suggest the BFG Technologies GeForce 6800 with 256mb of RAM and dual-ouputs ( 1 VGA and 1 DVI ).**************

tks Landis

so your suggestion is scrap the Quadro NVS 440 idea. reinstall my original Nvidia GeForce 6800 card and add a BFG Technologies GeForce 6800 with 256mb of RAM and dual-ouputs ( 1 VGA and 1 DVI). run the drivers for the BFG and hook up up to four monitors.

Correct.

tks for feedback...and yes I should better know computers period. As I hv spent most of my time alone trading for a living I really have not spent enough time on learning about computers

tks for your help

#21     Feb 9, 2008
  2. Was it the sneaky 'WiFi' switch?

I've also had many hours wasted by that little bugger!

#22     Feb 9, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Oh HELL YES! What is the purpose of that switch?

#23     Feb 9, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

Apparently the techs aren't fully current on "the switch" either.

I had 2 chat sessions with Linksys support where the switch was not mentioned.

It was my 3rd tech session (that one with HP) where I learned of it.

Also, while trying to troubleshoot the Linksys router, a "Wi-Fi switch" was mentioned... but nothing was said about it being on the notebook. I looked over the router and found no such switch... just a light which indicated it was working.

#24     Feb 10, 2008
  5. if you simply wanted a third monitor then you should have looked into a USB to VGA adaptor.....they are quite inexpensive and will give you a 3rd monitor....I am using one and finding it to be excellent.

#25     Feb 12, 2008
  6. tr51

tr51

as an update: the nvidia Quadro 440 would not work on my machine so per gnomes advice, I removed the the 6800 and replaced it with the nvidia quadro 285 and added a nvidia quadro 280 PCI.

works great

#26     Feb 20, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

That was the first time I'd heard of a 440 not being compatible with a PCIE mobo.

Anybody else experience this?

#27     Feb 20, 2008
  8. Gnome,

I have had a big issue trying to install a GeForce 6200 PCI-Slot card into my new Dell Vostro-400 ( G33 chipset ) in order to support a 3rd monitor.

I currently have an 8600 GTS in the PCI-Express slot, which I'm told by several Nvidia techs will be compatible with the 6200 PCI-slot card. The 8600 GTS is what came with my computer from Dell.

Unfortunately, after not one, but 2 installs of TWO brand new eVGA GeForce 6200 cards in both of my PC-slots ( I tried each one ), I am unable to even get the POWER to come on on my Dell computer!

It would be nearly impossible to have 2 consecutive brand new cards turn out to be DEAD on ARRIVAL, nor would it seem realistic to have not 1, but 2 dead PC slots in a brand new computer.

I have now gone back into the BIOS and under the "Advanced Chipset Feature" found that the "Initial Display First" was enabled to the integrated graphics ( which they call PCI-slot for some bizarre reason ).

In any event, I have changed this BIOS setting back to PCI-Express, and am now crossing my fingers hoping that everything will boot-up fine, thinking that the previous configuration was generating some sort of a conflict.

I have even disconnected my DVD player so that I can make up for the additional 30 watts that the new PCI slot card will be drawing.

I can't believe that I would potentially be near some sort of power supply wattage "threshold" with the use of a dinky PCI-slot card that might draw nothing more than 30-35 watts.

In any event, I will report back later.
    I'm about to go back into my computer case one more time.
    Hopefully, it is the last!

Wish me luck!
    :)

#28     Feb 21, 2008
  9. Tums

Tums

LOL

#29     Feb 21, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Maybe it's a good thing the power didn't come on. You might have been instructed to install the second video card driver and then have REAL problems...

JK... please keep us posted

#30     Feb 21, 2008