Seeking Mentor

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by SeekingMentor, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

OK, I have to admit, my real name is Veronika Zemanova. Now, would you take me as an apprentice?

For the original poster, please read my instant classic called Desperation 2. That will explain the futility of your request.

http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74757&highlight=desperation

#21     Nov 26, 2006
  2. agreed 120%...........

#22     Nov 26, 2006
  3. letsroll

letsroll Guest

Asking a question like this is an insult to the traders on this site! You are basically diminishing the profession of trading. If you wanted to be a doctor, would you ask a stranger on a website to mentor you? If you wanted to invent a new product and sell it to the masses, would you go to the "show me how to invent a product so I can make millions website" ??? Most of the real traders on this site, have put many, many years into their craft. It takes a great deal of reading, research, discipline, and real time lessons in the market to learn. A traders time is extremely valuable.

Now having said that, why would a complete stranger after going through years of hard work, sacrifice, money, and time not spent with their families, serve it right up to you (a complete stranger) a short cut to the business?

Dont get me wrong, this is a great place to learn and get pointed in the right direction. You will learn alot from experienced people here, but asking for a shortcut means that you dont respect what it takes to become a successful trader in my opinion.

- Success does not come for free.
    - Just being realistic

#23     Nov 26, 2006
  4. i gotta totally agree here.

i put a lot of time, effort, desperation (lol at times), and MONEY into learning how to trade and become profitable.

in retrospect, it would have been MUCH MUCH cheaper to pay a mentor several thousand dollars for some instruction vs. learning, as the columbians say, "with blood".

the vast majority of traders never become successful. those of us who have, with rare exception, spent a lot of money and time getting to this level.

it is immensely insulting to expect that any successful trader is just going to give away what they have learned.

im all about discussing general concepts, but i guard my setups and my precise methodology, because frankly speaking - they are valuable assets.

these are things that can allow somebody (who has discipline, cause without discipline, you will lose money eventually no matter how good your methodology and edge are) to have a wonderful career and use their money to generate more money

what a great concept!!

in general, you get what you pay for. you might get exceptionally lucky and find somebody who is willing to mentor you AND who actually is a successful knowledgeable trader, and do it for free.

but it certainly won't be me.

#24     Nov 26, 2006
  5. Dear SeekingMentor...I will give you some advice.
    If you are going to use this site for anything other than looking for a mentor you might want to try to change your user name.

Depending on where you live, you could try the proprietary trading route. Many many traders start this way.

Good luck in your search

#25     Nov 26, 2006
  6. We have to think about what mentoring means in a trading context. To me it does not mean to put your most secret and successful trading strategies on a silver platter for someone.

What does a "big brother/sister" type mentorship mean? Does it mean the mentor does the kids homework? No. Does it mean the mentor fights the kid’s bullies? No. What it means is that the mentor provides a good example and acts as encouragement that there is a way to make it in life.

My hope was to maybe meet someone who was willing to occasionally pass an email back & forth or chat on the phone once per month or so. I think I have a realistic expectation about this.

#26     Nov 26, 2006
  7. As is typically the case when a new trader seeks help/advice here, the obligatory beatdown has followed. Why people feel the need to be so harsh (realistic, they would say) is beyond me. I guess they get some sort of perverse satisfaction out of putting down the newbies. Experienced, profitable traders who don't want to help: FEEL FREE NOT TO POST.

Since you've gotten very little positive advice, I will suggest you consider getting some training at a prop firm like Bright. This will be your best chance at success because you can spend some time with traders who actually make money (hopefully). In addition, read as much as possible and watch the markets every day. If you have some capital to trade with, open an account and trade as low-risk as possible while you learn. Stay in the game as long as possible and you will have a chance to succeed...

#27     Nov 26, 2006
  8. letsroll

letsroll Guest

Let me ask you this........ If a trader can make more money, and be more profitable with any of his spare time, (Looking for set-ups, reading, relaxation for the trading week to come, or spending quality time with family), why should he take away from that time, to spend it on the phone with you?

Im sure you can find a buddy out there to trade e-mails with,
    but asking for a mentor to give you the most precious commodity
    in the world (time), so you (a complete stranger) can become a better trader, still seems to me like you are looking for a shortcut.

#28     Nov 26, 2006
  9. That is something each trader will have to answer for himself/herself. I realize and certainly respect that the answer from most traders would be no.

#29     Nov 26, 2006
  10. Probably the ones who are seemingly helping would not be actually helping; whereas the ones who are actually helping would not be seemingly helping. LOL. :D

#30     Nov 26, 2006