Seeking an automated trading team to work with -- or an Independent programmer

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Newmoney24, Jul 20, 2013.

1. I have a few strategies I want to test, and am looking for a seasoned programmer to work with. My weak point is the actual programming aspect(I am not a trained programmer but do know the basics)

I am also willing to join a team if such a team exists, just shoot me a message and let me know if you already have a team but are looking for more talent.

Cheers,
    Tommy

2. jnbadger

jnbadger

It was great when I got on a team. It was better when I got off of it.

The conversation would usually go something like " Hey I have a great new idea I think we should test." "Great, trade it manually for 3 months and see how it goes and we'll see if it's worth programming."

I use cyborg (embium) and trade ideas now. But there are plenty of other user friendly apps out there to use all by your lonesome.

No programmer needed.

3. who can manually do a quality strategy manually though besides manually being available 24/7?

at the least, some basic back testing should be in line (either independently or in line w/ the team)

4. Running a team here.

It is not "trading it", it is validating it. Programmer time is valuable and - programming you do not SEE The markets. Watching it for some time - even in replay, even only part of the day - gives the strategy designer ideas how to trade it better.

Backtests and optimizations do not show a lot of things. You focus - time wise - on results and implementation, not thinking how the strategy behaves. Manually running the strat, manually validating the entries, means you focus on the strat and the market details, possibly seeing new ideas.

It is not "have an idea, spend a month programming, money", it is "have an idea, validate it, program, valdiate, spend serious time looking whether everything makes sense or it was just a bad idea".

Not saying backtests have no value - damn, I have close to 200 cores permanently in action doing them now, and right as I speak there are 26 jobs queued.... but: They come quite at the end of the work progress. First you check whether the concept at least theoretically makes any sense. Manually.