Seeking Advice to Configure Lenovo P-920

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goslow, Mar 14, 2018.

1. goslow

goslow

Hello.

Hope you are all well.

I seek your input to spec a Lenovo P-920 ThinkStation. This is a new desktop, dual Xeon, very extendable, with high-quality components.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/works...series-towers/ThinkStation-P920/p/33TS3TPP920

Areas of inquiry mostly include:

• Machine choice - Is there something you'd prefer over a Lenovo P-920, everything considered?

• Processor type - Where is the price/performance sweet spot among Intel's new Xeon offerings? There are too many choices (core count, cpu speed, cache size, gold/silver). Assuming dual processor, however.

• Memory - 128GB, I think, to future-proof the machine and allow more file caching. Any reasons for more/less?

• Video card - I'd want to drive 2 4K monitors, but not get unnecessary game- or video-specific, realistic shading, etc. The NVIDIA NVS 810 is/was a great choice to drive 8 smaller mons; What are good choices now? Priorities are high bandwidth, draw rate, and affordability.

• Monitors - 4K monitors appear to be "it"... any recommendation as to brand or model? One pair, 48" diagonal, would fit space available. 8K anytime soon?

This machine will run several MultiCharts instances with 1-10 charts each.

Thank you in advance. - The Slower One

2. I think that I would prefer to replace the hard disk drive with an SSD. At least for the primary drive, the one that holds the operating system.

goslow and Overnight like this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

That is a serious rig for sure, but I concur with Hobby...If you are willing to spend that much on a rig with an emphasis on speed and performance, do the SSD for the main OS drive. Large as you can go within reason...Maybe a 500GB for 3-400 bux? It is worth it.

goslow likes this.
  4. SSD for sure. It's a must have in every modern rig. Prices have went down considerably the performance gap compared to a normal HD is substancial.

goslow likes this.
  5. The specs are overkill.

16GB RAM is more than enough, 32 overkill. SSD is where you will get the speed, Samsung EVO perhaps.

With 4k displays be aware of your eyesight limitations. Around 36-40 inch is the sweet-spot for most people, the reason being from the position you are sitting on large screens the edges are too far away and you have to move your head too much. All depends on viewing distance. Curved can help here however then lines are distorted, personal preference.

a 4k is basically 4 1080p displays merged so think about what the font size is and how that would be an arms length away etc.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    zdreg and goslow like this.
  6. DaveV

DaveV

You have not mentioned why you need a new computer, or besides MultCharts, what you plan to run on it. Have you checked Task Manager's Performance tab to see how much CPU and memory you are currently using at peak times?

If all you are running is MultiCharts, then no way is a Xeon processor or 128GB of RAM needed. If all you need is to drive 2 monitors, why are you buying a workstation?
    And if all you are running is charts and a trading app, what files are you hoping to cache?

The type of system in your specs if what they usually use to drive a server with a massive database.

Unfortunately, when it comes to computers, there is no such thing. It's usually cheaper to buy a new computer every 4 years, to take advantage of new technology. I suggest you go to DellOutlet and check out what they have.

goslow likes this.
  7. Ditto that. I am in favor of Xeon CPU on a Dell workstation (same for HP and Lenovo workstations, too).... quality of parts (supposedly) and longevity. My trading rig is a Dell T3500 w/Xeon CPU... 9 years old, runs without skipping a beat and still plenty of horsepower for today's markets.

OP's desire for a high-power computer is waaaay overkill for trading. Should be able to get plenty of horsepower for <$1,000. Unless he's doing damned serious number cruching, he'll never even use the "dual" CPU.

I'd recommend the Precision T5810 w/Xeon E5-1620 CPU or better... for $650-$850. More modern is the T5820. 8GB of RAM is almost always going to be enough for trading. If not, he can always add more. No sense in paying for 128GB RAM and using only a fraction of it.

goslow likes this.
  8. I doubt you (or anyone) can effectively follow that much. (I'm as "professional" as any of the screen jockeys on ET, and display only 6-charts per layout. Often times I look back and say, "I missed that".... a trendline I didn't have drawn in or a Fib. That's not counting what goes on in the charts of other layouts not in my current view. So... here's a tip. Narrow your focus. To make what you "could" in the markets you have to pay close attention. That's more difficult than it seems on the surface. You almost certainly can't pay "close enough" attention to 50 charts displayed.)

"Several MultiCharts w/10 charts each"? Pleeease. No way, Jose.

goslow likes this.
  9. rb7

rb7

You'll be able to fly to the moon with these specs.

Dual Xeon, 128GB RAM...give me the money baby!!!

If it makes you happy, go for it (with a SSD for sure, PCIE type if possible). But money wise, IMO, it's a waste of money, way overspecs.
    But it's always fun to have new rig, especially high end stuff.

goslow likes this.
  10. That too. If you've got the money, you can have a Ferrari to drive to the Starbucks down the street if you choose! :)

Noobs get the notion, "If I have a high-power computer with lots of monitors... that will make me a success". Not the case at all. (My first trading computer was an 8088 XT class machine... with 2, 720k floppy drives, and one 13" CRT monitor. "Things" trade the same now as then.)

#10     Mar 15, 2018
    comagnum and goslow like this.