Seeking advice on writing (and covering) short options

Discussion in 'Options' started by noregrets, Mar 17, 2013.

1. So was this was one of those meaningless, very S-T % return trades I discussed earlier?
    How long on average?
    But either way, without knowing the details of the trade, it's risk, it's prob, it's sector, time frame ect.... it lacks context.

#81     Mar 20, 2013
  2. Feigning stupidity? It was over the quarter and consisted of dozens of trades. The account never took more than 3.2% in heat. All of the trades are in the journal and all fills were marketable.

#82     Mar 20, 2013
  3. 30% for the quarter.
    120% annualized.
    You are the "atticus".... not the rule.

#83     Mar 20, 2013
  4. I only look at risk adjusted returns. I look for 5x so 10x is probably unsustainable.

#84     Mar 20, 2013
  5. phili

phili

Atticus: Forgive my ignorance. It seems one could do very well with a risk/ loss like this. A 200 batting average would keep you in the game indefinitely and 300 or 400 your golden. Do you have to go far out of the money to achieve this? Or do you cut loses quickly? Thanks

#85     Mar 31, 2013
  6. Could you elaborate on the "FOTM" comment?

#86     Mar 31, 2013
  7. phili

phili

My thinking is FOTM (maybe a daily std. dev. or 2) would be necessary to risk 1 to make 5. I guess I’m thinking about flies with my comment and that’s why I directed the question to you. Just trying to learn.

#87     Mar 31, 2013
  8. I never annualise the return on individual trades because I see that as meaningless. I have a column that annualises the daily return, which I hardly ever look at. I do pay more attention to the annualised number on weekly and especially monthly summary sheets.

In any case all it tells you is if you manage to continue what your are doing, that is what you will end with, ie pie in the sky.

#88     Apr 1, 2013
  9. phili

phili

I guess I'm all wet. As I think more about this... no need to go FOTM. Why risk the entire debit? I choose what to risk, so give it a reasonable amount of time and cut out if my 1 to 5 is being violated. It's like trading stocks but there is more forgiveness.

#89     Apr 1, 2013