Seeing a psychologist

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Htrader, Jan 29, 2003.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

#41     Jan 31, 2003
  2. Perhaps you would feel completely understood by a cat, not I.

#42     Jan 31, 2003
  3. So what's the problem?

Oh no, "What seems to be the problem?"

Better still, "So why do you think you have a problem?"

#43     Jan 31, 2003
  4. I feel more completely understood and appreciated by cats than by any humans. Similar to the studies of children healing themselves when they feel cared for, are the studies of people with pets, usually elderly people in these studies, and how their healing and well-being is improved by having pets.

#44     Jan 31, 2003
  5. I think it is great that you have found the understanding and comfort you need with a cat.

Brings to mind the Steve Martin joke:

"I tried to give my cat a bath, but his fur kept getting stuck to my tongue."

Hearing that joke, and reminding myself of having watched Steve Martin tell that joke, and then mimic having fur stuck to his tongue is a memory that always makes me smile.

Ahhh, laughter is the best medicine.

#45     Jan 31, 2003
  6. nguittar

nguittar

If anybody is seriously in need of help, I know a couple of people that were helped by Dr. Van Tharp. They were all pleased and the process wasn't drawn out. Van always says something like "trading is 10% system and 90% psychology". Well, I guess you don't have any more excuses. Soooo . . . How does that make you feel ?

I don't know if this apparent success benefits from the "Survivor Bias" (if they weren't helped , they wouldn't be around for me to meet them). Dr.Van Tharp recently announced that he would once again do one on one, and can be reached at :

www.iitm.com
    or
    800-385-4486

Norm

#46     Jan 31, 2003
  7. stefan17

stefan17

When I was still a student I went to see a psychologist on a regular basis. This didn't make me a better trader at once. But I learnt to observe myself! Meanwhile I automatically know what motivates me to buy a certain stock. There are strange motivations like I want to impress somebody...

Psychology is no magic, but it helps!

#47     Feb 2, 2003
  8. :cool:

#48     Feb 3, 2003
  9. hey i went to see a shrink for 6 years!!! it really helped...

it helped so much that when we kept coming back to how she couldnt believe who i had married, i finally just said to myself f*** this - ive already dealt with this s*** - whats done is done - i just dont want to do that again! i had kept saying to her: "you bring this up almost every session - enuf already. what i was thinking was "if i wanted to dwell on a mistake that i made 10-12 years ago, i didnt have to spend 2 hours (RT) on the freeway and write a fat check - i could go to hawaii and beat myself up." i was like thinking "f***ing get over it, i have and i'm the one continuing to pay the vaginamony every month!"

i highly recommend good shrinks. i also suggest that one never forget that the idea is to get better, and that means stopping the sessions! also, be careful who you marry - its a legal partnership with untold implied LT obligations. that last one was off-topic, but marry the worng person and you may have a trading partner for life, except no "fringe" benifits and you put up all the money and take all the risk. what a deal!

#49     Feb 3, 2003
  10. Yeah, man, amen.

Same with all relationships. Get involved with an immature narcistic nimfo and you will see this in your trading results even months after it is over.

#50     Feb 3, 2003