Seeing a psychologist

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Htrader, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Good afternoon, iceman1. [sits silently in armchair for 60 minutes while iceman rambles on about what a hottie his mother was in her youth...]

Thank you [slips iceman's check for $160 in inside jacket pocket]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Good afternoon, qdz2 [no charge, pro bono work :)]

(Dr. Phantom is available to see clients in numerical order only. Trader555 will be on the waiting list for a while)

#31     Jan 30, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

In some cases, a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist is called for.

--Db

#32     Jan 30, 2003
  3. Hey, I'm a quack, I'll take anybody (and their $160 checks)

#33     Jan 30, 2003
  4. L
    M
    A
    O

#34     Jan 31, 2003
  5. Do u think I'll graduate in 10 years?! That ought to help you pay for your second home.

LOL

#35     Jan 31, 2003
  6. I think it depends. At what point does a professional athlete no longer need a coach, a personal trainer, a nutritionist, a chiropractor, an agent, an accountant, a stock broker, a massage therapist.....

Looking at the mind as a tool, as much as an athlete looks at his body as a tool of the trade....

Why couldn't someone see a psychologist on a regular basis just to help maintain the fine tuning?

#36     Jan 31, 2003
  7. I have studied psychology and the therapy process, and part of my education required attending sessions with psychologists.

I saw that even though the training of psychology can be similar, the way in which psychologists put their abilities into practice has a lot to do with the psychologist's own mental health. Unfortunately, many of the psychologists I have met have the least amount of inner mental health as any profession you can find.

For those who are not inflicted with deep seated emotional problems, a regular visit to someone who listens well can be invaluable to stress management.

How many people do you know that truly listen to what you say? How often do you talk with a friend, spouse, parent, teacher, etc, and walk away feeling that they didn't really hear what you were trying to say? Either because they were too distracted with their own lives to hear you, or sat in judgment of what you were saying, or were so desperate to be heard that then end up monopolizing the conversation.

My observation is that great psychologists, are great listeners. The great ones have the ability to devote their full attention to their client, so that the client "feels" heard and understood. You would be surprised at how many people are just looking for someone to hear their pain, not necessarily take it away from them.

There is a particular psychological theory, that humans have the ability to heal themselves psychological, if given the opportunity to do so.

This school of thought points to children, and how children can be in pain, real pain, but as soon as they are in the arms of their caregivers, the pain subsides, and they begin to heal. The children feel "OK" and seeing an adult presence accept them for who they are without judgment is invaluable in the self healing process.

When you have a bad day at the office, who really cares? When you go home, does your wife really listen, really hear you? Do you really feel comfortable to share the bad days and failure in an intimate manner with your friends, as they might make fun of you?

So, the psychologist can play the surrogate role of someone who can listen and be there for the person who just needs to talk.

Most of us are intelligent enough to solve our own problems, but it is difficult to step out of the problem when in pain, and be objective enough to find a solution.

Someone who can listen, give feedback, and make the listened feel cared for is a great need in our society of constant input and noise.

I think it is a shame that in our society that we don't all have a family member we can go to who will just listen without judgment, be present for the time we are speaking (not distracted or into their own agenda) and be there when we need them.

Given that many cannot find that kind of listening at home, from their family, or with friends, a good psychologist is well worth the time you pay them for their service.

#37     Jan 31, 2003
  8. rs7

rs7

I worked with a trader that went from great success to dismal failure. He tried psychotherapy. Did not seem to work.

He then went to a hypnotist. Said it helped him with his lack of discipline.

Wish I could tell you guys if it would have helped or not over a significant period of time. Never got the chance. He was arrested for drug possesion driving back from his second session. He's been in jail since.

True story.

Peace,
    :)rs7

#38     Jan 31, 2003
  9. When I snap my fingers, you will awaken. You will remember nothing of what I have told you here now. But you will take this bag full of white powder with you when you leave this office, and deliver it to the address I have told you. You will not know what is in the bag, you will not know that you have delivered it, and you will not remember the address to which you have delivered it.
    If you are stopped by any officers in blue uniforms, you will be polite and cooperative, and completely unaware of anything they might be accusing you of. You will now wake up in 3 . . . 2 . . .1 "

#39     Jan 31, 2003
  10. Or for much less than the cost of one hour a week with a psychologist, you could feed a cat for several months. That cat would give you sympathetic companionship and affection many hours every day.

#40     Jan 31, 2003