Seeing a psychologist

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Htrader, Jan 29, 2003.

1. This is a great post. One of the real issues in trading. I am usually a wise ass on this site but this is a post that I have a lot of interest in. About me I have been trading for about 5 years and have learned everything about the market I need to know. I am always profitable when my life is good. I have average 12 cents a share in this market. But this business has taken everything away from me my friends almost my family a house and my credit
    I was a prop trader for a big firm that gave me confidence in the beginning and I was always net positive. When I couldn't get a payout the bills piled up and murdered me emotional to the point of a gross loss everyday. No matter how hard I tried to forget about my financial problems they seemed to pop up in the form of hope on a losing trade. So I quit and rethought my plan and a few months latter came back for round two. Again in the beginning net positive everyday I was making about 80 cents net per day. My losses were gross positive net loss or flat. I know exactly how to trade and when. I have been thought by two of the most profitable traders in the business. Then I needed a payout my dot was 300 shares 6 positions and all I needed to do is make 50K plus another 50% to a deferral account and then I would see 70 % payout. By now my family is calling me a loser I am broke and being told to wait on tables. So all I did is self distruct and fall into a depression. Finally I blew half my gross and got fired. This was the best thing they did for me. When you are having a hard time especially trading people think you are a gambler and they will turn there back on you. When I went for my first interview at schonfeld I was warned of this. They lose more traders to emotional stress from not getting a salary that they only look for traders with deep pockets that can go at least 5 years without a pay check. There best trader went 5 years without a check. So here I am a nobody, broke and all because I was under capitalized from the start. Wall st is full of good traders that are profitable only if they are stress free. So my advice is stick with school and then when you have a good chunk of change to live off go for it. The other thing my firm took good care of me in the beginning and then when I told them I had some financial trouble they all of a sudden didn't know me and when I asked for a commission rebate or some form of a kick back of my gross they said " Fuck you come in the morning trade the open and then work for UPS at night" this was coming from someone that I trusted and told me he would not let me fail. This is the reality of trading it's not pretty but the truth. Most people that want to help will screw you over and by then the job offers that you would of had after graduating wont be there. So think long and hard about this and remember most don't make it.

#21     Jan 30, 2003
  2. I am completely qualified to help you with any discipline/emotional issues which come up from time to time while trading. What's the problem?

#22     Jan 30, 2003
  3. The bad news is, she probably did look like your mother. If you didn't have a problem before this woman, you probably had one after.

#23     Jan 30, 2003
  4. You must have a fantastic method of organizing threads from Elite Trader. How do you do it?

#24     Jan 30, 2003
  5. cartm

cartm

I did once. He said 4 words in 60 minutes, "good afternoon" and "thank you" after I handed him the check. In 60 min I got 4 words, I am not even kidding. Thats $40 a word, ( $160 a visit). We're in the wrong business.

#25     Jan 30, 2003
  6. L O L!!!!

(though, my mom was actually a babe when she was young)

#26     Jan 30, 2003
  7. "They lose more traders to emotional stress from not getting a salary that they only look for traders with deep pockets that can go at least 5 years without a pay check"

you mean the traders there have to sign some sort of contract
    that gives them a good payoff in a few yrs but they get

zilch / zero % of their profits their first 1-5 yrs at the firm?

this makes no sense !:confused:

#27     Jan 30, 2003
  8. uhhhhhhhhh:confused: :confused:

#28     Jan 30, 2003
  9. what fluidity said...

#29     Jan 30, 2003
  10. qdz2

qdz2

Well, having waited some time to post in this thread, I have to say this. It would cost me more than I could save if I went to a professional psychologist.

:p

#30     Jan 30, 2003