Security software?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by LJT, Mar 26, 2007.

1. I used Norton for many years, it was hell at times.
    Have been using the version of McAfee supplied free by my ISP for over 2 years now with absolutely no problems.

FYI

#21     Jul 7, 2008
  2. Ashley

Ashley

Make sure to have a anti-vuirus program like AVG running and a free firewall such as ZoneAlarm personal...I feel both are necessary.

#22     Jul 10, 2008
  3. a5519

a5519

Just for Info.

AVG is malware. After one of the updates it made my Windows unbootable. Even not every virus makes Op Sys unbootable.

Also it is a remarkable story how the support of AVG wanted to solve the problem.
    They sent me a program that dumps everything from my computer to file and they wanted that I send them this file for research.
    In the begining I was even ready for cooperation. I have only asked to confirm that only technical data is extracted from my computer and no user's data.

I have got no such confirmation.

Think twice before installing AVG !

#23     Jul 11, 2008
  4. paulxx

paulxx

Right on about AVG new version 8.

For years, up until a couple of months ago I gave out AVG to every customer. Then they moved to version 8 and it's philosophy that your system resources are theirs to use.

While still not as bad as Norton or Macafee, they will not listen to knowledgeable people on their user forums.

In the last month or so I have had at least two jobs where AVG 8 has been the main cause of trouble. One was to do with a conflict with Vista SP1.

The problem is it is trying to be a jack of all trades, has become more bloated and makes non-standard adjustments to the system (like winsock).

On many pristine systems it will work fine, but any complications (or a service pack)and like Norton/Mac it compounds the problems. They will soon have to introduce a forcible remover utility like those also, because it won't always uninstall.

My current recommendations are for free antivirus, Avira Antivir. Leaner and better detection than AVG. There is an easy way to fix the one downside, a popup on update, just google it.

For spyware I recommend the free Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 (google it), but NOT the current version. When installing untick everything except a desktop icon and start menu entry. Do not use helpers or protectors, just run weekly or even monthly. The more recent 1.5 and 1.6 nag you with system prompts if you leave helpers turned on and if you turn them off it freezes sometimes in a scan. AdAware is OK in addition. Avoid SpywareDoctor at all costs it can grind systems to a halt and is not effective. Also, any software that shows you a million problems and demands money to fix them is a fake. I regularly get customers who have paid up.

Lastly if you have a router you don't need another firewall if you are a bit careful, but you have the adequate built in Windows one anyway. The bigger risk with stand alone firewalls for ordinary users is to disallow an unknown program only to have problems later and correcting it requires hunting through menus for unknown names. I have had many jobs where the firewall is the main problem.

#24     Jul 17, 2008
  5. Paulxx, thanks for sharing. Aren't there any complete Internet Security Suites you recomend instead of getting several free software for each issue (antivirus, spyware, etc)??

Thanks.

#25     Jul 17, 2008
  6. paulxx

paulxx

Glad to help CPTrader.

Once you install Avira, you don't have to think about it, it updates and scans everything itself.

If you have a router and have checked on the control panel that the Windows firewall is turned on, you don't need to think about that either.

The only thing you would need to remember is to run Spybot once a month, three clicks: open the program>Check for Problems>(let it scan)>Fix Selected problems. 2-4 minutes.

Those two programs are to my knowledge the best of each. The inherent problem with all-in-one's is evident in AVG - it leads to bloat and nobody can always be the best at everything.

Check out more details on my post here: http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125518&perpage=6&pagenumber=9

and follow the link to clean up your system if it's slow. It's essential that you clean it up and/or get rid of other antivirus/firewall software completely first

I've googled Spybot 1.4 for you: http://www.tucows.com/preview/310138

And here's Avira free:http://www.avira.com/en/download/index.html

Try normal uninstall but it can fail or leave residual bits so:
    Here's the Norton Removal tool (run it a second time after restart): http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Here's the macafee removal tool: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033

#26     Jul 17, 2008
  7. Paulxx,

I'm very grateful for this great advice.

I am going to clean up my old laptop using your procedure and uninstall Norton. I'll then download antivir. I already have spybot.

I also just got a new laptop which I will set up with security software as per your counsel.

Any tips to ensure a new system stays clean from junk so as to constantly deliver top speed performance??

Very grateful for your help.

#27     Jul 17, 2008
  8. Paulxx,

Thanks again, followed all your recommended steps and my laptop is noticeably faster.

Thank you!

#28     Jul 18, 2008
  9. dan_s

dan_s

If you have Comcast, you can get McAfee for free through your Comcast account. Don't know whether other cable providers offer something similar.

#29     Jul 18, 2008
  10. paulxx

paulxx

Glad it's working better CPTrader. Your new laptop - did you manage to get XP or is it Vista? Vista is slowest but there are some tweaks that help.

Either way, new laptops are often slow due to loads of subscription rubbish, non-standard manufacturers 'helpers' etc. on top of preinstalled Norton/mac. You may have a dozen or more unnecessary background services and programs running at startup and probably a load of icons in the system tray, representing only the tip of the iceberg.

Often this is the reason traders cry out for gaming type supercomputers when actually charting with indicators and even backtesting is usually not that demanding compared to gaming, audio or video editing, even with multiple monitors.

Lots of memory gets round the problem to some extent but even with no problems, you need five times the memory for vista than XP for the same or maybe less performance and responsiveness. I have been called out just to remove Vista and put on XP.

#30     Jul 18, 2008