Security software?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by LJT, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Virus software: AVG and Norton Corporate

Spyware: Ad-Aware and Spybot

That's what I use and they all seem to be able to play together. Some packages, like Kaspersky, will require you to remove most/all other software programs that do what Kaspersky does. My only problem with that relying on one platform for all of your protection is risky in my opinion. I'd rather have a couple running since each has it's own design. For example, I routinely find that Ad-Aware finds many things (mostly little) and Spybot will find the 'larger' issues.

#11     Apr 1, 2007
  2. a5519

a5519

Norton internet security behaves like a malicious sw. I have been using it for several years. Now finally I have lost patience and switched to AVG and up to now have no complaints. Moreover, AVG found few problems that Norton could not find.
    One more issue with Norton is that after de-installing, it left services active, browser plug-in, folders with files that can not be deleted ... uhh.

My reference: AVOID NORTON if you can !

By the way, who could help or recommend a good forum for XP problems. With de-installing-deleting activities I have damaged XP and now in browser works nothing if java scripit must be executde. Moreover, windows restore also doesnt work. Thanks.

#12     Apr 3, 2007
  3. excellent free firewall, won pc magazine's editor's choice:

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com

as for virusscanning, i just run kaspersky's online scan every week.

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

my email is scanned by yahoo on their servers. and i'm smart enough not to download stupid things.

there are a slew of free spyware and rootkit scanners online as well. just run a scan every week.

#13     Apr 3, 2007
  4. I've always had good luck with computing.net.

#14     Apr 6, 2007
  5. bluedemon77

bluedemon77 Guest

I just converted from Norton to Kaspersky based on the online reviews of various anti-virus software. I am so happy to get rid of Norton. Everything Symantec bought, was converted it to a top-heavy, inconvenient POS.

One problem with Kaspersky is it doesn't work and play well with Zone Alarm. So I'm living without Zone Alarm, which was another resource hog like Norton. I'm a little worried about that even though I'm using a hardwired router (with NAT). I read somewhere that you need more than Windows firewall even with a router. Any suggestions for getting ZA to work with Kaspersky?

#15     Apr 9, 2007
  6. You could upgrade your router to one with SPI, that would help. I don't believe in software firewalls, ZA slowed down my internet by 50% I kid you not! I tested it quite a bit with dslreports.com. All ZA does that IMO that NAT doesn't is tell you when things leave your PC. I run Avast and it catches alot and it's free.

#16     Apr 9, 2007
  7. bighog

bighog Guest

Norton is to security about the same as Jack hershey is to being truthful. .. :D

#17     Apr 9, 2007
  8. What's currently the best comprehensive Internet security suite?

Or is it referred to get individual products instead of a suite - if so what individual packages are recommended?

#18     Jun 26, 2008
  9. Btruck

Btruck

I run Kaspersky Internet Security (Suite - firewall/antivirus) on both of the trading systems set to the highest secruicty levels. It is worry free and very smart software. Had Norten & ZoneAlarm in the past, and Kaspersky is on another level!

#19     Jun 26, 2008
  10. Do you use comodo? Im having a shit time with it, with a new pc i have to download a bunch of apps and its a nightmare so far. Is it worth it?

#20     Jul 6, 2008