Security at work

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Raje, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Good advice. A friend of mine was telling me, the other day, that one of his employees is always looking for other jobs while at work. He knows but doesn't tell the guy.

#11     Sep 8, 2011
  2. Why are you trying so hard to break corporate policy and get fired? Man up and tell them their Orwellian bullshit don't play and walk out the door.

Or get a smartphone.

#12     Sep 8, 2011
  3. Don't try to hack the network at work unless you want to be looking for another job during a depression.

Get your own equipment and do it on your own without their infrastructure. And don't get caught doing that (don't brag to anyone that you made $5k today trading widget futures while at the office).

#13     Sep 10, 2011
  4. LeeD

LeeD

1) Unless you have admin rights on the PC (which in a big company you wouldn't unless your job is software developer or network administrator) you won't even be able to disable the keylogger without external help

2) When you are using your own equipment, make sure you know who your boss, his (or her) boss and their boss are.... and if anyone else asks tell, them to f*ck off (i.e. it's none of your business, keep moving.) You don't have to explain what you are doing to everyone. In fact, in financial companies the recent regulatory regime prohibits explaining what you are doing to passer-bys (it's called "need to know" basis). So, if anyone who doesn't "need" to know what you are doing to perform their job function should be left without an answer.

#14     Sep 11, 2011
  5. use your laptop with wireless internet card over mobile net.
    u have broadband there too.

But be on guard and hide it, if you not want to get fired...

i did the same, when i have worked in a "normal":confused: job and traded beside that.

greetings

#15     Sep 11, 2011
  6. Please don't try to hack around the keylogger. Big banks / big corps' IT security is not that dumb. You will be caught.

Take the smartphone advice : get an iPhone or Android phone with a good / unlimited data plan and do whatever you want from the restroom or during lunch break, which is also kind-of on your own time, not company time.

#16     Sep 11, 2011
  7. +1. to the OP, pls take this advice and just be done with it. there is no point in continuing this thread b/c you WILL wind up in a lot of trouble if you try to do anything you shouldn't. unless you're day trading you don't need a the size of a desktop/laptop that you'd have at work anyways to trade. for swing/position trading a smartphone is more than capable. you can set alerts in your trading platform to let you know when stops/targets have been hit so it's not like you're always looking at your phone.

#17     Sep 11, 2011
  8. Joe

Joe

Laptop, plus Verizon wireless card. I've been doing it for years.

#18     Sep 11, 2011
  9. They already know that and they monitor your activity. They have already talked about you in supervisor meetings. This is standard procedure. They have already estimated the time you spent trying to visit websites unrelated to your job and they plan to either subtract that from any pay rise in the future or fire you if you are not a top producer.

Part time trader = loser trader - plus you risk getting fired. Just forget it. Don't listen to the kids here telling you to get a smartphone. Everything that sends a data request over any network that is accessible from your space is monitored by your security. They will know how many Mb you downloaded and the time you spent looking at it.

In other words, devote yourself to your job in these hard times. You won't be able to get another one. Neither you will make any money trading part-time, quite unlikely.

My 2 cents.

#19     Sep 11, 2011
  10. Norton "corp". can do it. Some companies log and record for 6 months .

#20     Sep 11, 2011