Secure firewire drive??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bungrider, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Hi all,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a firewire drive (I already have a FW port so I don't need a controller card) and make its contents relatively secure? The hot plug factor is cool so I don't have to plug it in at all times, but can I also encrypt it under win2k so that a password is required to access it??

I am also thinking that I may want to code a trading system (yes I have been talking about this for months but I am a lazy fuck) to generate signals, and I am wondering if maybe it would be possible to keep all of that stuff on the removable encrypted firewire drive, and have an application to transmit quote data through some sort of "secure" channel between the computer that is getting the quotes and the FW drive that houses the trading logic. Thus the FW drive would be somewhat "protected" from internet exposure.

I've been considering just using another computer and setting up a VPN for this trading system, but I really don't want to have to maintain another machine if I can do it all with an external harddisk or some other removable media...

Thanks in advance,
    -dungrider