Sector % in market indexes?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cornholetrading, May 23, 2003.

1. Does anyone know a website source to get info on what different sector or industry groups make up the Nas 100 and S&P 500 indexes and what percentage of the index they are. For instance in Nasdaq 100 what percentage of the stocks in the index are semis, percentage biotech, ect. Also same thing for S&P. I am trying to find the 2 or 3 largest or most heavily weighted sector components in each index.

2. I heard that about nasdaq and was trying to check up on the info and see how much of a percentage difference there was between the SOX and BTK and the next largest sector component. I have found those two sector indexes useful in helping to determine the strength of the nasdaq futures moves and was seeing if there were some leading sector components like that for the S&P as well.

3. I don't have a real good answer for you, CHT.

At the link I gave you, you will have to explore. For example: http://stockcharts.com/charts/Carpet.html

move your mouse over any sector and it will tell you how many stocks are in that sector -- divide that by 500 for S&P weighting

hit the down one level button beside the words 'Current View' for more details

Chart below shows BTK & SOX movement in relation to Nas 100 index.

Bruce