Secondary Job Ideas While Trading

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by saltycoot, Nov 12, 2009.

1. While interviewing with a prop firm I was told that i probably won't make much money the first year if any. I've got about 15 grand saved up and my rent is 750 a month which means that eventually i will need to get another job I was thinking about bouncing a couple nights which will give me 400 a week, besides that does anybody have any ideas of what i can do for secondary work during nights and weekends.

2. Quote from saltycoot:

While interviewing with a prop firm I was told that i probably won't make much money the first year if any.

"if any" is the truest words in that statement

I've got about 15 grand saved up

Not nearly enough to support yourself while trading. That is called "scared money". It is already almost impossible for most to trade longterm with good success. A prop firm is not going to fix your problem.

and my rent is 750 a month which means that eventually i will need to get another job I was thinking about bouncing a couple nights which will give me 400 a week, besides that does anybody have any ideas of what i can do for secondary work during nights and weekends.

You have it backwards. You are only going to piss away your hard-saved money. You need to get a PRIMARY job, and learn to trade on the side.

3. l2tradr

l2tradr

To actually answer your questions:

-work security at private parties
    -bartender / waiter
    -food delivery

It's not glamorous but it pays the bills while you learn, if you are truly determined. Good luck

By the way, do you have to put up any money at the prop firm (risk deposit or "training")?

4. Thanks

5. Thanks. I'm not using that 15 grand to trade I'm using that for food, rent, and going out that money will probably last me about a year. The place where i'm working at doesn't require a risk deposit and I don't have to pay for training and if things don't work out with the firm they said they'll eat the loss if I decide to quit and my account is down.

6. What is the name of the prop firm?

7. How did you swing that one? It seems like they are assuming all risk in that deal.
    There must be a catch.
    What hours are you looking to trade, anyway, US open or foreign markets?
    Doesn't make much sense to do something like bouncing (which is a late night gig) when you'll end up tired and out of it for the morning session.
    If you are trading the US session, you might be better off trying to find some sort of mid-shift (3-11pm) a couple of days a week at somewhere like UPS or Starbucks.
    Pizza delivery might not even be a bad option, as you can probably score some free eats and take your tips under the table.

I actually prefer the "real job" approach, (which is what I'm doing). I live on the west coast so I can get up 2-3 hours before work and watch the markets. Better pay, health care, and security should you ever blow out your account are the advantages.

8. They make money by getting a cut of my profits as well as charging me a certain amount a share per trade.

9. PPT

PPT

LOL. So you say you don't give them money, they pay for training, they eat the losses, but they make money on charging you per share? What?

if it is their money, they are charging themselves.

what am i missing.

and name the firm

i'm calling BS

10. Their not paying for training. I start off with a small amount of shares as i get better they'll give me a higher share allowance any losses i incur are mine but I was told if things don't workout they'll let me walk away if i am negative at that point.

#10     Nov 13, 2009