Secondary Income or other sources of income

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by WDGann, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Frankly, if anyone does not believe what you wrote, I don't see how he/she can try to trade for a living!

#21     Jun 22, 2003
  2. Well really the post I made was looking for suggestions in order to be able to trade and have other more stable alternatives going at the same time. TA might work all the time but I know many TA traders that would do great and then not make money for 4 months as they adjusted to changing market conditions, low volatility, and narrow range trading periods. The periods of change are what I am looking to help protect against with another source of income as I look 5 years out and see where I want to be. After seeing how rapidly trading conditions change over the last two years I can imagine what will happen and what will change looking 5 years out. However if I thought I would make a million dollars in the next 2 or 3 years I probably would not be asking the question.

#22     Jun 22, 2003
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

The major problems people have is when they think in terms of absolutes and not in terms of a concept. Thats when setups "stop working". A few years ago it was very popular to find an uptreding stock that had pulled back for three days and then look to buy it. That doesnt work as well today as it did for me from 1998 to mid 2000. But, the concept is still valid and I make a lot of money on it, just not a 3 day pullback per say. The concept though is that strong stocks continue after a period of rest. If you sit down and take the time to think "why is this working" and what is behind it you will be fine. If you want to be can fed then you have to keep buying the "new setup" from the next person in line to sell it to you.

Brandon

#23     Jun 22, 2003
  4. nitro

nitro

This is the "secret" to all trading.

nitro

#24     Jun 22, 2003
  5. FinStat

FinStat

no. it's just prudent......lol

#25     Jun 22, 2003
  6. funky

funky

This is the "secret" to everything.

#26     Jun 22, 2003
  7. nitro

nitro

Hmmm,

I think you are right...

nitro

#27     Jun 22, 2003
  8. I gotta agree with Brother Brandon and Brother nitro on this...

#28     Jun 23, 2003
  9. It was kind of funny because there were several responses on why TA still works but nobody addressed the real question.

#29     Jun 23, 2003
  10. kernan

kernan

I think I got the thread off-topic, but it was because of the statement you mad which I felt needed to be addressed:

"Trading is great when things are going well, but as we all know strategies die and that is where the stress can begin if you have others that are dependent on you. "

Anyway, I personally don't have a suggestion for secondary income, as all of my time and effort is put into trading. If I took away from that, my performance would suffer.

#30     Jun 23, 2003