Second War Has Begun

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ertrader1, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Thank you, hapaboy, for sharing some much needed insight to counterpose, and in my mind utterly silence, the cacophony of faux idealistic obtuseness from the prevailing talking heads (as well as a few misguided, though no doubt well-meaning, ET'ers). Unfortunately, I fear it will be completely lost on those who are most in need of it's wisdom. Let's hope for their sake that certainty combined with blindness for that which is rather than that which they wish to be won't prove as dangerous in these difficult times as it is in trading.

#31     Apr 8, 2004
  2. #32     Apr 8, 2004
  3. "Sorry! We couldn't find the page you requested."

This is what I got from your link.
    Can you give us a hint of what it is you want us to see?

Thanks

#33     Apr 8, 2004
  4. smtimes you have to cut and paste entire line cause it dont come out right i dunno everything who do i look like "axe"?? :confused:

#34     Apr 8, 2004

5. Long "the axe" Shot,

Thanks, I got it to work now. :D

#35     Apr 8, 2004
  6. It seems pretty encouraging, really.

I seen words like "militant", "fighters", "army", but nothing to do with terrorist.

Those Iraqis are moving up in the world.

#36     Apr 8, 2004
  7. So I take it that you genuinely believe that when we hand Iraq over to the "Iraqi Congress" at the end of June, that Iraq will then embrace a democratic form of government, and not a "theocracy" like that of Iran?

Man, have you guys been doing a lot of drugs lately.

:(

#37     Apr 8, 2004
  8. Waggie, I have two words in response:

"Client state."

Actually, I have two more:

"Military governor."

Or better yet:

"Puppet government."

The point is, we all know the Iraqis are not yet equiped to govern themselves and it very well could be years before they are. Heck, it took years before we could cede power to the Japanese and the Germans after WWII, and they, unlike the Iraqis, knew how to administrate.

So I harbor no illussions that the June power transfer will be anything but a public relations exercise designed to placate the unruly hordes in the Arab world and the squeemish Europeans. But I care little for I, unlike some here, understand that the reason we overthrew the Butcher of Baghdad was not to liberate the largely undeserving Iraqis, but rather to establish a beachhead in the nascent global war on terror.

Speaking of which, I often wonder whether some on the left in their frothy hatred for the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue might actually prefer to see us lose this war. Who are you rooting for Wags?

#38     Apr 8, 2004
  9. You bring up an interesting point.

If someone doesn't think we should be fighting this war, does that mean they are hoping that we lose it?

Is it possible to "root" for a victory, when you think one is not possible?

Do we "root, root, root" for the home team, when we think the home team is playing a game they shouldn't be playing?

Do we support dissent in this country as part of democracy, or do we judge those who dissent to be seditious while we try to force democracy on a country that didn't invite us in?

Do we continue to support spending money and lives on a war we believe to be unjust?

Just what is the "American" way?

#39     Apr 8, 2004
  10. taodr

taodr

Wake up guys, Arabs are so uneducated. It is impossible to have a democracy without a large part of the population educated. They say only 20% of the arab population has some education and of that percentage 80% only have junior school level.

#40     Apr 8, 2004