Second Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KB96, Apr 18, 2002.

1. KB96

KB96

I have a a Pen III 650Mz Toshiba laptop with 256RAM running XP I use for trading. I want to know if it I can hook up a monitor to the external monitor port and view 2 different web pages, or trading platform and charts at one time. (one on each screen) Is this possible, and if so, how? I know I can view the same thing at one time on both, but would like to know if I can view different pages on each monitor. I would like to know this before I buy a new monitor. Thanks, Kyle

2. wild

wild

3. spieler

spieler

Yes you can do all of that but you need a special graphic card.
    for exemple the appian traveler

4. J-Trade

J-Trade

Actually, KB96, with a recent Toshiba laptop, you may well be able to run that second monitor simply by using the monitor port. Most laptops still cannot do this : the second monitor only gives a mirror image, so you do need the Appian Traveler card - I use one succesfully with my Compaq laptop.

The good news is that IF your laptop will drive the second monitor as is, then you can add an Appian Traveler later for a third monitor.

5. I have an IBM laptop and can do this, use an external monitor without a problem. This laptop is only a PIII 450 so I'm surprised it's not available on the Toshiba. My video card is a NeoMagic, all I have to do is click on dual monitor and restart machine.

6. KB96

KB96

Thanks for all your ideas and comments. I borrowed a second monitor and plugged it in to my external monitor port and with a little configuring I was able to view 2 different pages at once. And I didn't need any other adapters or anything. Saves me from having to go buy a another computer for trading, just need to buy another, bigger monitor.
    Thanks, Kyle

7. KB96

KB96

Thanks for all your ideas and comments. I borrowed a second monitor and plugged it in to my external monitor port and with a little configuring I was able to view 2 different pages at once. And I didn't need any other adapters or anything. Saves me from having to go buy a another computer for trading, just need to buy another, bigger monitor.
    Thanks, Kyle

8. pjon

pjon

I just bought a new desktop w/ Matrox Mellenium G550 graphics card, which lights my two gemstar flatpanels making them one big screen, which allows me to slide windows between them and place them at will. So for the price of two flatpanel 15inch on sale, i get one big screen about 30"x12". It is a big improvement.

9. 2nd monitor is great idea, almost necessary. However, make sure that the resolution can exced 1024 on the back pixel number, else wise, the screen fonts will be fat/large characters, and you won't feel that you've gained anything, in terms of screen realestate.

also, you'll find that more realestate allows monitoring of more indicators, and will probably tend towards looking at charts of the futures relative to the tick/trin/vix (etc.);

you'll also be interested in looking at similar trending/trading stocks like (qqq's, msft, sunw, orcl) in tandem.

you'll almost quickly move towards 3 screens, and that's without even having www.elitetrader.com up and running during the day.

careful, its a conspiricy from the PC industry.

cheers

10. H2O

H2O

Limit,

I've come to the point that I want to switch to 3 (or 4 monitors) but I keep hearing that it isn't possible on 1 machine..

Currently I have a P4 1.8 with a matrox dual head videocard connected to two 17' monitors. I would like to hook up a third one, please help if possible.

Thanks

#10     May 2, 2002