Second monitor not showing up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by surfer25, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Scalper,

On your computer, open up the control panel, go under performance and maintenance, then open up system, select device manager, and click on display adapter. Then post what kind of video card it tells you you have.

#21     Jan 13, 2007
  2. Dino, thats exactly what I did in the past and ruined my machine. That's why I don't want to do anything internally. For a second I thought I should do it but it's not worth the risk. I'd rather pay a little more and get that special box that MMC suggested if my cable mission doesn't work out.

MMC, I am gonna just purchase the cables rather than waiting for ebay to ship. Missing a trading day will cost much more than paying a couple of bucks extra for these wires.

Triple x, I am doing that right now..brb

#22     Jan 13, 2007
  3. dinoman

dinoman

How did you ruin your machine? Installing a video card is like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. There is nothing to it.

#23     Jan 13, 2007
  4. Triple x, it says this:

1. radeon x300 series

2. radeon x300 series secondary

hmmm, what does that mean...

#24     Jan 13, 2007
  5. I don't know what happened. All I know is that I stuck in an extra video card into an empty slot and the computer just never worked the same again. There were always some kind of conflicts. That was a time when I didn't know anything about computers. I probably did something really idiotic.

#25     Jan 13, 2007
  6. Scalper, have a look at the entire back of the machine. There may be another VGA or DVI port over next to where the mouse and keyboard plug in. It sounds like you have an x300 onboard video, integrated into the motherboard, and then that x300 add on video card. I bet you already have three ports and just need another cable.

#26     Jan 13, 2007
  7. dinoman

dinoman

Why not just take your PC to a local PC store and have them put it in if your that weary. I am sure they can't charge more than 10 or 20 bucks since it takes all of about 5 minutes. Most of them should do it for free.

#27     Jan 13, 2007
  8. Triple x, I don't see another vga port. I see the vga port then an s.video port, then the dvi. All right next to each other horizontally. Then near the mouse/keyboard area, I see a printer port and a nine pin port(scanner?)..And a bunch of usb ports..

Dino, thanks man. Thats a great idea. I'll bring in the computer and ask them everything and if they say I can't connect 3 monitors with my current settings then I'll just have them install the card. Bingo!

My nearest store is a best buy..The Geek Squad is there...I hope they don't rip me off...

#28     Jan 13, 2007
  9. dinoman

dinoman

If you have a BB near buy then you should definitely have a bunch of small PC companies around. If BB wants to much just look in your phone book for a small MOM and Paps store.

#29     Jan 13, 2007
  10. dinoman

dinoman

#30     Jan 13, 2007