SEC to Nearly Double Equity Transaction Fee

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Toonces, Feb 28, 2003.

1. What I would really like to know is "where does all the money go" ?

What happens to all the money that is collected by the SEC when they do catch and fine "evil doers"?

I think it would also be interesting to see a full accounting of the SEC and just exactly how they fritter away the money that they extract from my pocket on a daily basis. I hate constantly bitching about this and sounding like a 'cry baby' but it just pisses me off so much that they jack this thing up and down at their discretion.

The cut in SEC fees was nice but it was so short lived as to be a joke, and I'll bet that they are not nearly as quick to cut the fee as they are to raise it. The only reason it was cut in the first place was because of an embarrassment of riches!

MACD

#41     Mar 4, 2003
  2. def

def Sponsor

We eat them and don't pass them on.

#42     Mar 4, 2003

3. That's pretty strong ....are you goign to continue doing that? Most firms pass them along. I have to admit , Im impressed .

#43     Mar 4, 2003
  4. def

def Sponsor

No clue as I won't have any involvement in the decision. I'd guess that the policy won't change.

#44     Mar 4, 2003
  5. this is such a small fee that you arent even going to notice the change. If youare going to go broke over this fee, then you are really trading to make $10 a week. Best bet is to go and work at MCD!

#45     Mar 5, 2003
  6. Are you crazy !!!!

I pay over $100 in SEC fees a day which will go up up to about $150. That's an extra $50 per day x 20 days x 12 months = $12000 + I already pay about $20000-$24000 per year.

Judging from your apathy in SEC fees, my guess is that you are not an active trader or you haven't taken the time to see the exponential impact on a traders bottom line. The extra $10K-12K means a lot to me !!!!!!!

$30K in SEC Fees ......Thats a managers yearly salary at MCD.

Banker

#46     Mar 5, 2003
  7. ktm

ktm

The SEC pulls in exponentially more than it's budget. The reduction of enforcement actions and fee increases have nothing to do with SEC revenue - and they have stated as much. OMB has been "reallocating" that money for years. It would probably only piss you off more to know where it really goes. I don't know that anyone on the outside could ever say exactly where that money winds up.

#47     Mar 5, 2003
  8. The looters will keep issuing new anti-capitalistic directives, and raising fees, thereby reducing the number of market participants- thus nessecitating even higher fees.

I 'shrugged' almost 2 years ago. I only bother trading when exceptional volatility is present- maybe 2 months a year.

In the words of Eric Cartman: "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

#48     Mar 5, 2003
  9. If you trade any decent size and calculate the fee at the end of hte day, you'll know that it adds up! Either you are a super multi-millionaire, or you hardly trade.

#49     Mar 5, 2003

10. It's not the size of the trade , it's the amount...if you sold 1 million shares of a .003 penny stock, your fee is not as as big as someone selling 1000 shares of a 60.00 stock.....just be glad this is not a per share fee ....but your right, it does add up quickly. In an account w/250k in bp, think of how many times a week you turn it over...7 or 8 times is a couple million in principal.

#50     Mar 5, 2003