Sec Rule 201

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Nobert, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Nobert

Nobert

Today i was short on TLRY ( simulation ), right before the end, the ,, Sec Rule 201 '' appeared on it's ticker.

If that was a real trading account , what am i supposed to do in such case ?

Can i keep my short position ?

Thank You.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. Uptick rule put in place after financial crisis. Stocks that are down > 10% intraday can only be shorted on an uptick.

Cs

3. You can hold it but only initiate a new short position on an uptick as long as it’s 201.

Cs

MoreLeverage and Nobert like this.
  4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2010/2010-26.htm

Rule 201 includes the following features:

• Short Sale-Related Circuit Breaker: The circuit breaker would be triggered for a security any day in which the price declines by 10 percent or more from the prior day's closing price.

• Duration of Price Test Restriction: Once the circuit breaker has been triggered, the alternative uptick rule would apply to short sale orders in that security for the remainder of the day as well as the following day.

• Securities Covered by Price Test Restriction: The rule generally applies to all equity securities that are listed on a national securities exchange, whether traded on an exchange or in the over-the-counter market.

• Implementation: The rule requires trading centers to establish, maintain, and enforce written policies and procedures that are reasonably designed to prevent the execution or display of a prohibited short sale.

Nobert likes this.
  5. Your simulation already seems promising, as it was a good day to be short TLRY. The uptick rule makes it harder to get filled when you want to sell short (for two days), but if you’re already short it does nothing to your existing position. Usually it’s good news, since it means the stock has gone down a lot recently!

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I took a look at your portfolio. I realize this is sim. Except VOO, all the positions are the same size-about $23K. Do you think it is a good idea to have the same allocation in TLRY as TLT-NKE-BABA-GLD?

Nobert likes this.
  7. FSU

FSU

Does this sim take into account the cost to short a stock like TLRY? If you were trading with real money, you would be paying around 1.50 per day to be short it, so it would have to go down around 10 points every week for you to break even.

Nobert likes this.
  8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Today TLRY was a threshold stock for us so you can't get a locate at all.

upload_2019-1-18_19-51-3.png

9. Interactive had shares of TLRY today. I shorted some.

Does this sim take into account the cost to short a stock like TLRY? If you were trading with real money, you would be paying around 1.50 per day to be short it, so it would have to go down around 10 points every week for you to break even.

That’s important to include, but not nearly as bad as you say. TLRY is down to about 50% or $0.10/day, although that cost had been much higher recently.

Nobert likes this.
  10. Nobert

Nobert

Could you expend a little bit more on that ?

For example, how much it would cost to me , to hold it, per / day, with $25 000 size short position ?

Does that pay / tax, varies per broker / stock ?

#10     Jan 18, 2019