SEC May Let Companies Abandon U.S. Accounting Rules

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by BullAlert, Aug 27, 2008.

1. gucci

gucci

What are you comparing IFRS to? Are you sure they are more stringent when compared to the "conventional" German standards?

#11     Aug 28, 2008
  2. Companies can mark the assets based on different accounting rules, for example mark according to different models... great news for bankers!

#12     Aug 28, 2008
  3. sjfan

sjfan

US standards... since that's what we are moving away from...

#13     Aug 28, 2008
  4. sjfan

sjfan

Where in the world is this coming from? Harmonizing to an international standards used by most of the 1st world countries means LESS choice for accounting games.

#14     Aug 28, 2008
  5. I'm just waiting for the U.S. to go to the metric system.

#15     Aug 28, 2008
  6. gucci

gucci

Nice one. :D

#16     Aug 28, 2008
  7. gucci

gucci

Sorry for misunderstanding. I falsely took your comment as a general claim about IFRS being a standard, that is worth to strive for.

#17     Aug 28, 2008
  8. I read the article and I posted it. Show me the quote that says the IFRS rules are more stringent.

#18     Aug 28, 2008
  9. sjfan

sjfan

um... how about the actual rules themselves... for example, IFRS rules disallowed the pooling method of merger accounting before US rules. I'm not an accountant - but I do recall the IFRS treatment of securities classification (whether they are held to maturity and no marked to market) is more stringent. Also, I believe for the rules for retirement benefits also favors a more stringent expensing schedule under IFRS.

#19     Aug 28, 2008
  10. OK, this is where the 99% of non-CPA investors (like me) are going to get buffaloed by the globalists. It's going to lay the foundation for more shady creativity regardless IMO. The change may tout cost savings by elimination of duplicate accounting standards, but what about all those corporate beancounters who now need new training in the international standards? I'm looking for a reason behind lame duck slamdunks like this one...and it ain't transparency or cost reduction.

#20     Aug 28, 2008