SEASON 2, thursday TV WALLSTREET WARRIORS

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jtnet, Jan 22, 2008.

1. wall30

wall30

Wanted to do something else....nothing wrong with that.
    He made the money he wanted to make. Not everyone wants to live with stress. Same reason why many bond traders in the 70s and 80s were retired in their early to mid 30s. They made the money they watned and moved on.

#731     Sep 27, 2008
  2. #732     Sep 27, 2008
  3. hey, if thats the case... more power to him... just seems from the outside looking that he blew up his book and doesnt want to rebuild... or noone wants to hire him. either way, doesnt matter really... its his business, hopefully hes doing something he likes now and doing well.

#733     Sep 28, 2008
  4. wall30

wall30

You are right, his business. Nobody ever said this business is easy. If you give yourself a cushion by doing something to earn 6-7 figures a year for a few years and walk away after a mistake no harm to you. Trust, its not because nobody wanted him as my firm offered him about 50K to come over.

#734     Sep 29, 2008
  5. he runs like a fagg

#735     Sep 29, 2008
  6. greedo

greedo

Here is an alternative website where anyone can watch any episode of WW from both seasons anytime.

http://www.hulu.com

A great site overall. Great comic selection as well.

#736     Oct 1, 2008
  7. ITR2744

ITR2744

grr... can't watch from outside the U.S. :(

#737     Oct 2, 2008
  8. I have been LMAO’ing since I started watching WSW on hulu and reading this thread. This show is a joke in terms of the people featured in it, however, it’s hilarious and extremely entertaining. I just couldn’t help but wanted to write my opinions on the characters.

Timmay: The star of the show. He won the top spot by far in the “who in WSW, do you wanna punch in the face?” contest. He’s inexplicably annoying and immature. And with that level of maturity, he’s hoping to raise $ millions, I mean come on. And what’s he gonna do with that money? Shorting microcaps? With $10 million? How sustainable is that? He should be really grateful to those guys who gave him a couple hundred thousand, yet he was almost going to kick the guy out of the apartment for preventing him from making $1K in profit!?

Laetitia: NYU degree is great, but based on my experience, I think she’s the very bottom of her class. I went to NYU-level schools for business undergrad and MBA. Her NYU acceptance smelled “donation from parents” to me. I know from my own experience and also I had a chance to observe many of my friends that a business grad (undergrad or MBA) has some clue about the business world. She acts just like a freshman and as one person put on this thread, she is like “deer in the headlight” mode all the time. SMB capital is obviously not a place for an NYU grad, and she is applying there, probably because she was found to be stupid by the major wall street firms, where most of her classmates will be working at. Also, I was annoyed by her childish behavior like her “I need to save money, I won’t make any money, but I take cab to everywhere, even to work” approach. She is very spoiled and immature (not as damaging to earth as Timmay though).

Also, about the degree or no degree discussion: I think prestigious banks look for degrees as they need people, who are not only smart, but also stable, organized, hardworking and trustworthy. You cannot just bring in a guy from street and put him to work on a valuation model for one of the major M&A deals. On the other hand, trading is a totally different game, and I believe, it requires a different skill set, which might or might not be found in an MBA grad. Were there stupid people like Laetitia in my classes? Hell yeah. But, most of the time, the natural selection process in interviews finds out about those people, as recruiting folks are not very bad in selecting people. And those types of people in my classes also ended up in places like SMB capital. At the end of the day, you get what you deserve.

Brett: Guy is always wondering around, looking for some “sexy” ventures to invest in. It looks like his investment criteria is how he “enjoys” the goods/services of the potential business. We never see him pursuing a grocery chain, trucking company or a mining operation. Guess what his next investment will be in: a car sharing club of course.

Also, the questions he asks are very shallow and he listens to the business owners just like a tourist, listening to the tour guide in front of the Eiffel Tower. No challenging questions, no kicking the tires, no financial check. Watch/read Barbarians at the Gate and then see how real PE is done. Of course there is some mumbo jumbo in this business (i.e. Kravis going to 2-step dance with the RJR CEO), but it also includes a lot of hard work and number diligence.

Boiler Room guys: These guys are the most entertaining ones in the whole show. Everytime they say Sandisk, I start laughing like crazy. I cannot decide who is more stupid: them or the ones that buy stock from them. When the hard sell guy was telling the $10M worth CEO to step up to the plate, he mentioned about 1% commission. Wtf! So, he charged him $1K in commissions for selling 2500 SNDK? I really want to know about this dumb CEO and want to short his company badly. Online commission is $10 and phone commission is $40, that’s it. Who on earth pays 1% for a regular equity? This is not some structured finance tool that they came up with or anything. It’s a “common” equity.

I agree with all the comments on diversification and stupidly waiting on one stock to go up. I wish I was a CEO and got a call from them. I also laughed out loud for a while to one of the posts, where someone said they might be taking their stock ideas from Tim’s BS press. I can even see them reading and considering those spam mails, pumping OB stocks overnight.

OJ Hedge Fund guy: This guy is another version of the boiler room guys. Buys OJ futures and prays that it goes up in price. No analysis, diversification, nothing. And he claims to be a hedge fund manager? Who would want to give him money and 2% management fee, if he’s only going to invest in one single asset, on which he doesn’t have any clue (as proven by his shock when the OJ supply numbers are announced). How better will he manage my money than me, if he literally bets on the OJ prices, without basing his decisions on any experience, analysis etc.

German deal maker chick: I think she was the “Brett” of Season 1, as she was wondering around hot places, without actually doing much. We’ve never seen her doing hard work, but she was closing the so-called 250-500 million deals. Wonder how ;)

Guy de Chimay: This is the hedge fund manager from Season 1, and I think he was one of the most real characters in this show, along with the other hedge fund manager, who invested in troubled companies for long-term.

#738     Oct 29, 2008
  9. I'm watching Episode 7 now and just can't believe Laetitia going to interview in those clothes. It looks pretty unprofessional to me, given that the banker is dressed up and it's an official job interview.

Also, in one episode, when she was searching for flights, she was typing in Charles de Gaulles, instead of Charles de Gaulle for the airport. And French is her native tongue.

So, overall she gives me a "not good in whatever she does" type of a vibe.

#739     Oct 29, 2008
  10. I just can't stop, need to let it all out. I was wondering why Chicago Investments company would bother investing in that many computers and real time quoting and charting services for these losers.

All they need is one desktop sitting in the middle of the office, with the following page open:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=sndk

This could save the company a ton of money. Also, moving them from NYC to Idaho is a great idea. But there's one risk to that. They might not be able to attract top talent :D :D :D

#740     Oct 30, 2008