Sears earnings

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by harrybachs, Nov 10, 2006.

1. stay away right here....the fact that this stock is so easily manipulated by lampert`s associations is enough to stay clear....look for the hansons at 200 types right before the split....there are plenty of those around right now.....if google goes back to 510.00 i would short that.......it will atleast have a consolidation period.....and growth will be slowing....the law of large numbers.....i could see it dropping back to 460-472 range very easily......nice put options play maybe....have to look at the strikes closer.....or apple.......last year`s high during holiday runnup was like 86.50....sold off all the way to like 52.00 a share....they still have back-dated option issues.....who knows it knocked out some pretty big ceo`s already like kbh, and united healthcare....unh....not sure of that symbol

#11     Nov 25, 2006
  2. Is SHLD is just another Hedge Fund? Or is it a real estate ploy? It sure as heck ain't no retail play. I would stay clear until it can be at least defined. But by then there will probably be nothing left. This has to be one of the riskiest stocks. It just shows the real Cramer integrity. His show is nothing more than the penny stock spam I receive every morning in my email. Except with him I can shut him off.

#12     Nov 25, 2006
  3. Birinyi Associates

MarketBeat Breaks it down for us:

"Analysts at Birinyi Assoc. looked at the historical performance of various retailers after [BLack Friday] through the end of the year and found that, though shoppers are buying goods in their stores, investors are selling their stocks. During this bull market, which began in 2002, all six groups of retailers Birinyi examined have negative returns from Thanksgiving through year-end, underperforming the S&P 500, which is generally flat during that time period.
    The worst-performing stocks have been consumer-electronics names, which have lost, on average, 9.1% in the post-Thanksgiving period. The best are clothing retailers, which have lost a mere 1.4%. Going back to 1996, the picture looks a little better. Clothing retailers, general merchandisers and home-improvement stocks have shown positive returns in the Thanksgiving-to-New Year’s period, with gains of 1.75%, 2.74% and 6.31%, respectively, beating the S&P 500’s 0.82% return during that time. But consumer-electronics stores, department stores and specialty retailers have all posted negative returns. Electronics retailers have done the worst, with average losses of 4.39%.

#13     Nov 25, 2006
  4. People keep wanting to call SHLD a real estate play!
    1) Real estate is not the place to be now.
    2) Has anyone walked into a Sears store? There used to be one up by my mom's in Mt. Kisco I'm not sure if it's there anymore but it was a big store in the mid 1980's and gradually it shrank and shrank until it was basically a desk. You walked up and looked through a huge annoying catalogue and ordered something-- maybe car tires-- to be delivered sometime in the future. Compare that shopping experience with a retail company that has put on a legitimate push into the internet and you get an idea just how backwards this company has it. Don't worry we're selling thousands of stores! Is that the way you want to play retail? Or do you want to have a hot concept and be opening hundreds of stores? It's all just so ass backwards> if you want a stock that's going to make money off it's real estate then for Pete's sake get attractive real estate! Grab a paper stock selling off it's forest assets or that Florida East Coast Inds.. that has all that developable real estate on a coastline... Next time you pass a big grubby worn down K-Mart, take a look carefully at the store-- is this easily going to be passed on to a Bed Bath and Beyond? Who in retail is growing to the point where they are going to pay top dollar for these grubby dirty stores? Been to a mall lately in the suburbs? Check out the classic power tenet in the big corner space-- are there enough of those to absorb Crazy Eddie Lambert's supposed real estate sales? If this par down theory was really at play here with SHLD wouldn't there be huge and ever increasing dividends sent out?
    Simply put K- Mart will never be wal-mart & guess what? wal-mart is not a place to be now either! Consumer slowing down/ low end hurting... With SHLD you get " worst of breed " 2 of the worst retail stores out there Sears and K-Mart..rolled into one. Sell off their least performing stores and you still will never get the type of earnings that justify a stock price this high. For Kramer who likes to spout about buying best of breed companies it seems extremely shallow and curious for him to be pushing SHLD and his good friend little Eddie Lambert, who was only 14 years old when he first caught Kramer's eye... could this be just another Wall Street love story?

#14     Nov 25, 2006
  5. lmao.

I agree with everything you've said.

And that last part was friggin' hilarious.

#15     Nov 25, 2006