Search for a Ed Seykota Quote about teaching trading rules

Discussion in 'Trading' started by JM_Keynes, May 4, 2004.

1. One lotters ( on the emini, mind you) slamming one of the great trading minds in market wizards. I suppose Warren Buffet is a boob and Soros was lucky.

I must be hard to go bankrupt on an account worth less than 10k while you are living at home.

You guys are amazing, only to yourself, but that is obvious to anyone with an iq and no teen angst left in them.

#11     May 4, 2004
  2. You guys? Only one member slamming Ed Seykota here.

#12     May 4, 2004
  3. Anything else off topic of the original poster's question will be removed from this thread.

Start a new thread for the other discussions if you want.

Thanks.

#13     May 4, 2004
  4. Why not go right to the source ... ED

www.tradingtribe.com

Ed is very open, I am sure he will respond to you.

#14     May 4, 2004
  5. I have no idea how any of the legendary Market Wizards are faring in their trading today. I read all 3 of Mr. Schwager's books and was most impressed by the first volume. It was certainly a source of inspiration and, tangentially, some education.

However, I do find it a bit troubling that a number of the celebrated traders profiled in his books are now selling their services to would be traders. Certainly none of them did so during their heyday at around the time of their interviews. They may have counseled others, but I am not aware of any evidence to suggest that they charged others for it. Essentially, they were "giving back" after all the success that they achieved. This does not seem to be as much the case any longer.

Admittedly, Mr. Seykota's interview was arguably the most provocative. And it is clear that he guided traders who then went on to make names for themselves. But I do not think he was selling his consulting services at that time. Presently, however, he charges $1,000 per hour for consultation. Further, until recently, he was associated with Galt Capital in the US Virgin Islands which, among other things, offered a one week trading seminar at a cost of $25,000. At those prices, I would hardly regard these activities as "giving back." Of course, Mr. Seykota is entitled to run a business and charge for his services. The question that arises, however, is why is he charging now when we do not know how he is doing whereas he apparently did not charge at a time when we knew he was doing well? This is not a loaded question. Rather, it is a sincere one.

Whatever may have happened to Mr. Seykota since we last read about his success in the markets, I hardly think it is appropriate to call him a "loser." Few have achieved what he has, and it takes a small-minded person to use such a silly label.

#15     May 4, 2004
  6. Public Santa Clara County, CA records show a Federal Tax Lien in 1994.

#16     May 4, 2004
  7. I just sent the following to the Trading Tribe FAQ email tt_95@yahoo.com:
    I'll let you know if Mr. Seykota responds.

#17     May 4, 2004

8. Hmm... Calumny killed the cat? :)

#18     May 4, 2004
  9. jem

jem

Regarding libel.

"Apparently", is a key word. and what was it modifying?
    Whether the Ed is a public figure in the trading world.
    Whether the statement is false.
    Whehter it was known to false when stated
    Whether a retraction should be requested and given.
    Whether it was a business libel.

Lots of issues. Good moot court question.

Of course the most important one would be whether Ed cares. Because after reading some interesting yet sad "psycho conjecture" (my phrase) Ed should be more concerned about the flow of feelings and less concerned about the why.

#19     May 4, 2004
  10. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Interesting there is an elitetrader nicknamed ''searching''

''Leave those price charts on the table . Come back next week''

Seen looking thru { The Traders Window-}1 of Three top traders
    books by Jack Schwager
    =============================================
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey if someone wants to pay 25k for counsel;
    & another wants to pay $25 per book both are fine with me.

:cool:

JMKey-es;
    With you searching i see you like to learn to learn.

''Studying charts by hand;
    patience & diligence are rewarded''

Robert Koppel/ partial quotesThomas Shanks-CEO Hawksbill Capital
    Trading trainee of Rich Dennis
    ================================
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Speaking of Lifelong Learning;
    Mom has studied nutrition a lifetime .
    Heard Dr. Kaufman mention 8 years of medical doctor school
    plus internship.{ on DISH-Sky Angel.}

:cool:

#20     May 6, 2004