Scrooge McTrump...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Apr 14, 2011.

1. The Smoking Gun got fed up with listening to all of Trump's blatherings about "birther" this and "new season of Celebrity Apprentice" that, so they did some research into how Trump has spent his vast wealth (he said he had "seven billion fucking dollars in the bank" at his celebrity roast) over the past 20 years. What they discovered was that Trump did not have much enthusiasm when it came to charity: from 1990 through 2009, he has personally donated a total of just $3.7 million to his foundation, which was incorporated in 1987. The billionaire is not even the largest contributor to his own charitable organization—the World Wrestling Entertainment, who have given over $5 million, is.

Overall, the Trump foundation has "made charitable contributions totaling a paltry $6.7 million" over the past two decades. Compared to the philanthropy of other high-profile tycoons like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Larry Ellison, Ted Turner, Michael Bloomberg, David Geffen, or S.I. Newhouse, it's a pitiful amount. Bloomberg donated $235 million to charity in 2008 alone! They note that in the aftermath of "national tragedies like September 11 and Hurricane Katrina," Trump conveniently misplaced his checkbook, and the donations he has made to organizations such as New York Rescue Workers Detoxification Fund are "mere crumbs falling from his overflowing plate."

Trump, who describes himself as an “ardent philanthropist” whose charitable activities are “an integral part of his ethos" on his website, did find the money to make certain political contributions in 2010—to Democrats. Last year, the mogul made a donation of $50,000 to Rahm Emmanuel, $2,400 to Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, $2,000 to Democratic Congressman Anthony Weiner, $4,800 to Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, and $10,000 to the NY Democratic Party, among others.

http://gothamist.com/2011/04/13/is_donald_trump_the_least_charitabl.php

2. Hello

Hello

Im curious how much you have donated to charity in your life....

3. What does my personal contributions have to do with Trump being a cheapskate when it comes to charity?

Trump, born a Catholic...is he tithing 10% of his income the way good Catholics are supposed to?

Of course not, Trump traded worshiping God and Jesus for worshiping money.

Everytime I point our how flawed Trump is...you have no defense for Trump, but instead want to change the subject...

4. Savant

Savant

LOL! How many Trump threads does that make this week? :D

5. How many products has Trump branded in the last decade?

Trump is self centered, narcissistic, and of course the klannish want to be him...

6. Savant

Savant

A left winger appeal to religious critique? Now THAT is a first! LOL! I have NEVER seen that before. I'm just curious, did you offer such inquisitions about Obama and the tithing habits of him and his family? Just wondering, fair question.

7. I am a theist, and I regularly point out the nature of the in name only Christians like Trump.

Yes, I was one of the few liberals in this forum who regularly criticized the blind followers of Obama back in 2008.

My position hasn't changed.

I don't feel the need to point out everything Obama is doing wrong, that is being done here already.

However, the primary failure of Obama was not to make energy independence his number one for America.

I am not a fan of Obama, but I am not a hater.

Sadly, Americans have shown for decades now that they don't deserve good leadership by the incompetents they elect.

Obama is just another in a very long line of sellout presidents. Jimmy Carter at least maintained his principles, and even after he left office devoted most of his life to good works, not self centered endeavors.

Was Jimmy Carter effective? How can you be effective when you tell the people the truth and they don't want to hear it?

Instead they elect an B movie actor who began the onslaught of deficit spending, American hubris, ending regulator efforts that allow greed to flourish, etc.

So don't think you are getting any traction with your ridiculous comments below.

8. Trump employs probably 22k people and I'm sure some of them are charity cases. :cool:

Whaddya going to get by giving people something for nothing, don't we have enough of this already?

As far as gates/buffett, I can't say for sure but I'm willing to bet that some of their foundation money is going to a program where they pay kids to go to school. Wow..............there's a worthwhile cause.

9. Savant

Savant

Hm, well most people are born into some religion. I don't ever recall Trump holding himself out as being pious or some sort of religious figure. It would be one thing if that were the case, but it isn't. So, in lieu of that, it's hard for me to see your point honestly.

10. I'm not into giving people who are not trying something for nothing.

Gates foundation is giving money to people who are destitute, trying to help them help themselves.

Giving without wanting something in return is a higher spiritual value...something that the takers will never understand.

#10     Apr 14, 2011