Screwed by IB? "Tough luck dude"

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by lachie74, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

#21     Feb 29, 2008
  2. tyrant

tyrant

I am also interested in knowing why a market order went through but not a limit order?

And, had you not bought the 4 new contracts, what would happen with the original short 4 contracts? Did wheat open limit up with no chance of buying back at all in the first place?

#22     Feb 29, 2008
  3. The market would have had to have traded back down to the Limit Order (and through it) to be filled, whereas the Market Order could be filled any time (and legally, at any price the market would bear).

As far as where he sold short, I think a picture is worth a thousand (useless) words.

#23     Feb 29, 2008
  4. Go on. What's unfair about it?

#24     Feb 29, 2008
  5. Lachie,

You were not "screwed by IB" but by your own inexperience.

Good to see that you accept that --- as its the first step to actually getting on with life and ultimately becoming a capable trader.

Repeat after me: Damn, my own fault, well I know now --- I will do better next time.

Take a break and build a strategy. Back test it. Forward test it (paper trade). Then quietly make some bucks. Good luck.

#25     Feb 29, 2008
  6. One

One

1. It sounds like you are assuming the two contacts came off limit bid at the same time, and that you would have been able to buy back your short and sell July both near the limit bid, which is unlikely.

When the market opened you were really under water more than 18K, and you effectively took that larger loss when you bought July and entered a calender spread - which are risky enough in their own right in this market. This should make you feel better, since you would have taken a larger loss based on what you would have had to pay at the open to cover you short if limits had not been in place.

2. I can understand why IB would allow you to open July: they want to lower your margin deficit and I assume entering a calendar spread will do so.

#26     Feb 29, 2008
  7. never ever ever ever ever allow your account to face a margin call with IB

I have read countless horor stories and have in the past experienced one or two myself.

You WILL lose money and it wont be pretty and you will lose control of your account until IB is happy again.

when it comes to maximizing leverage with IB JUST SAY NO !!!!!

#27     Feb 29, 2008
  8. Here was your statement:

As the story went, when wheat opened up, this guy's account went deficit. Now what part of that would you call "making money off your mistakes"?

I think the fact that at this point this guy is deficit, IB is losing money in return for their commission of a few dollars gives them the right to do what they need to to mitigate their own risk, don't you? If that causes this guy to lose a little more than he might of had he LEGGED out of a spread, tough shit is the way I see it.

What was "unfair" about your statement? I would have said what was "fair" about your statement.

OldTrader

#28     Mar 1, 2008
  9. donnap

donnap

No thank you.

#29     Mar 1, 2008
  10. I bet any1 here the starter of this thread did not read all of the fine print when filling out his app.he probably just scrolled down and signed his name- like most people do.

never thought he would have an issue.

thats why IB is ignoring him.Its not worth their time because he has no case.

just like the thread a while back when a guy wanted to sell 10, but typed in 100 instead.he didnt have enough margin for that kind of trade in the first place, but the sysem took it anyway and he blew his account.

well, tough luck.You are responsible not IB.

read the fine print.

#30     Mar 1, 2008