Screen Capture

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gnome, Nov 30, 2003.

1. I play a lot of online poker. I dont play stud because I dont have a photographic memory and dont like being at a disadvantage to those people who can remember all the cards. I would like to be able to see each round in succession as it is played spread across my screens. I havent found anything that can do this yet.

#21     Nov 30, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Try Paint Shop Pro. The newest versions are probably more sophisticated than you need, but you can pick up an older copy like 4.0 on eBay for not much. There's nothing better for annotating charts.

#22     Nov 30, 2003
  3. gnome

gnome

I recommend anyone reading this to not bother with AnalogX. It works all right, but the only option appears to be for the captured file to write to the AnalogX folder (you can't print the capture or even choose a different folder to save into), you can't crop your captures, and if the capture page is stored over 2 print pages, you can't print just one of them. Free is well and good, but this baby is just too limited and cumbersome. Grabzilla is much better than this... but if you don't mind spending $10, 5-Clicks is much better still.

#23     Nov 30, 2003
  4. or GRABZILLA [for FREE]

#24     Nov 30, 2003
  5. Well, what do you expect from someone who has 10 monitors for trading 1 ES contract? The guy is obviously too dumb to figure out that 3 monitors for his type of business is already enough. So how on earth is he supposed to know that there is something like Paint?

#25     Nov 30, 2003
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

easyrider, I checked eBay and the oldest they have is 7.0, but there are several for less than $15, and it retails for something like $80. If you're interested, let me know.

#26     Nov 30, 2003
  7. c_verm

c_verm

Snagit Is the best, I think. Great for video, pictures ect..

#27     Nov 30, 2003
  8. one is certainly able to change the output file path using "Configure"

#28     Nov 30, 2003
  9. Thanks for the idea db. It never occurred to me to use editing software. The ole brain aint what it used to be. Awile back I was pretty interested in video editing and have two programs with capture ability that should do the job quite nicely. Thanks again.

#29     Dec 1, 2003
  10. gnome

gnome

When I started this thread, just wanted to give a "heads up" on a cool screen capture utility (just in case anyone was looking for one).

I was amused by the number of responses (mostly claiming, "mine's better"), so I thought I'd explore screen capture programs a little more... and was I surprised. I'd always thought they were mostly vanilla and generic. Noooooope.

I've downloaded 6 or 7 free/shareware programs and found a wide range of features regarding:
    1. Capture desktop
    2. Capture window
    3. Capture user defined size
    4. Capture video
    5. Capture sequential screen shots, auto-named
    6. "Print from capture" without being saved to file first... thought they'd all have this.
    7. Multiple monitor support
    8. Ease of use. Some require a few steps to reach one's objective, others surprisingly many.

As for 5-Clicks.... It was rated down by some website because it does not "capture a window", nor "capture desktop", nor does it capture video/sequential screens shots.

What it does, is capture user defined area only and then is given the option to copy to clipboard, save to file, or print + supports multiple monitors. In the sense of simplicity and elegant use, it's really quite different from all the others and stands as my favorite of those tested.

(NO, I didn't try SnagIt.... on purpose. I think $40 is too much for a simple utility that should have been included in Windows in the first place... I understand it's probably worth $40 for all of its features.)

OK... I'm ready to be ragged on! :D

#30     Dec 2, 2003