Scott Peterson and Double Murder

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Apr 21, 2003.

1. I have an business associate who dyed his hair, and has a goatee. So what? Maybe he needed his brother's ID to get on the course, who knows?

You assume guilt, then reason to conclusion. You sound like a D.A., not a jury member.

Why was he in San Diego? His folks like here.

#41     Apr 23, 2003
  2. Unless you have met many selfish killers who don't care
    it's not safe to say that Aphie, but it is reasonable to say there are substantial grounds for suspicion of Peterson's guilt.
    All this "evidence" leaked to the press will be cross-examined and some of it will inevitably be cast in a different light.

This is the emotional trajectory of a sensational crime, the DA is ahead of the 8-ball on evidence collection and examination and media manipulation. Peterson is made to look as guilty as sin, so much so that a lynch mob is stirring.

No one here is saying that Peterson isn't a likely suspect. We are just pointing out to you greenhorns that a murder case takes on a life of its own, that its shape and appearance could look drastically different in 6 months.

#42     Apr 23, 2003
  3. You're right. If he's going to be tried for capital murder and they go for death, they'll need a lot more than circumstantial.

My only question is why did they wait until the bodies were found to press forward? I'm assuming the bodies just confirm that she is actually dead, but apparently they arrested him before the final DNA results were available.

You need means, motive, and opportunity to try someone. Obviously we have opportunity and a means, but I have yet to hear much for the motive. The prosecution is going to have to convince the jury that Scott had some overwhelming motive to kill his wife and unborn child.

Likewise, the defense attorney should try and show the jury that it is plausible that someone else committed the murder and to shoot holes in all the circumstantial evidence.

Since Laci shat, bled, shed and pissed in that house, the prosecution is going to have to come up with some very good physical evidence.

She was apparently killed in her own house and then driven to a location and dumped. Finding a little blood in the house does not prove she was killed there, unless they found a pint of it all over the floor.

I don't think it was prudent for the DA to come out and say it was a "slam dunk" case even before the arraignment. No murder trial is ever a slam dunk case -- especially a high profile one which the media has made this out to be.

#43     Apr 23, 2003
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

Without a Body they dont have a murder case...period

#44     Apr 23, 2003
  5. All the defense needs is one or two jurors and reasonable doubt.

The burden of proof is on the DA and their case, despite what the lynch mob thinkers may say.

#45     Apr 23, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

If he is guilty, throw the switch.

nitro

#46     Apr 23, 2003
  7. If he's guilty, replace the switch with a dimmer and slowly slide it up from the off position.

#47     Apr 23, 2003
  8. ktm

ktm

I agree with your earlier post.

It's largely circumstantial at this point, but I'm sure they have some hard physical evidence for trial.

These guys should have learned from the other high profile cases that have gone to trial, that you don't release extensive physical evidence for a number of reasons. It taints the jury pool and provides too many prejudicial opinions. It also gives the defense more time to prepare - they should only be provided evidentiary matter through discovery. The evidence can also backfire and be used against them if further tests/changed testimony result in a reversal of findings.

If he strangled her, there are no signs of a life/death level struggle found in the house and they have no witnesses to his disposal of the body, then the case may be tough.

Keep in mind, they have reportedly had his communications bugged and whereabouts tracked since his release from questioning. He may have implicated himself since then.

Try it in court, not in the media. We will all hear soon enough what they really have on him.

#48     Apr 23, 2003
  9. lundy

lundy

Yes it was double murder.

Pro abortion (pro choice) people will find themselves in a bind over this one if they call this double murder.

Is the aborter the one who determines whether it's murder, or is it the action that determines murder?

What if there is a forced abortion that doesn't result in the mothers death. What is that? Murder?

I say yes.

#49     Apr 23, 2003
  10. ktm

ktm

Not that most of you would benefit from this, but I thought I'd share it since it relates to the Peterson case.

About 12 years ago, I met a girl in a pool hall one night. We agreed to go out on a date a few nights later. The date went so-so, nothing special but we agreed to see each other again. I dropped her off at her high-rise where she lived alone at about 1am and she asked me not to walk her up - she went in a side door that she had a key to. I called her the next day and left a message on her machine to go out again. The next day, the police show at my door asking questions about her. I was asked to go down to the station to answer a few questions.

That day...day 2... the police told me that she was missing and that I was the last person known to have seen her. I endured two hours of questioning and was sent home. Day 4, still no sign of her and I get another visit, back to the station and 8 more hours of questioning. I was also questioned very aggressively about the disappearance in my area of another female some months prior. This was a painful 8 hours. I had a clean record from birth but the circumstances and my role looked very bad to the outside observer, and the police were convinced of this.

Starting that day, my family, my employer, my ex's and my close friends were all visited and questioned. I was followed 24/7 from that point and these are just things that I'm aware of today. I had to retain an attorney at significant out of pocket cost. The police dug far and hard into my entire life and on day 6, I endured another 6 hours of questioning in the presence of my attorney. I was fully cooperative and had nothing to hide, but the circumstances around her disappearance made me look guilty - big time. I had no way to validate my whereabouts after dropping her off.

On day 7, she showed up. Apparently, she had decided a few days prior to go visit an old sorority sister 800 miles away and had left a message with her parents to this effect. The message was apparently accidentally erased from their machine.

I never received an apology from the police. It is my feeling that I did not deserve one, they were simply doing their job and doing it well and I respect that. I never received any reimbursement for my attorney fees and fortunately my employer, friends, family and I all can laugh about this now. The other disappearance was later solved.

Believe me, I believe in physical evidence - big time. Had this girl decided to assume a new identity somewhere else and never shown up, I could be in the pokey today with so much as an unfortunate jury selection and a poor defense. Of course, I didn't dye my hair and head south for the border either...and I never went out with that girl again.

#50     Apr 23, 2003