SCILAB - Looking for feedback from users

Discussion in 'App Development' started by MAESTRO, Nov 26, 2011.

1. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Excellent suggestion! Thank you so much!

#11     Nov 27, 2011
  2. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

That is exactly what I was looking for! Some of my students are fluent in German and French (I used to be, not anymore :D ). Perfect. Thank you so much!!!!

Cheers,
    MAESTRO

#12     Nov 27, 2011
  3. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

That is also very interesting! I love SCALA! I definitely need to look into R!

Cheers,
    MAESTRO

#13     Nov 27, 2011
  4. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

I have to confess, I have never heard of it :confused: Need to do some research, obviously.

Thank you,
    MAESTRO

#14     Nov 27, 2011
  5. #15     Nov 27, 2011
  6. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Wow indeed! Thank you so much! it is exactly the material I was hoping to find. I have read it in one breath! Perfect!

Cheers,
    MAESTRO

#16     Nov 27, 2011
  7. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

I have done a few not very complex matrix calculations and plotted a few functions. So far so good! :) I have not seen yet any major problems with SCILAB so far. It installs and runs nicely on 64 bit W7. I had to change the folder permissions though to enable writing, but it is mostly W7 problem, not a Scilab drawback.

I will keep you posted with my progress. So far I am pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,
    MAESTRO

#17     Nov 28, 2011
  8. Hi.

If you decide to look into R and Rserve you might also like to take a peek at Rsession http://code.google.com/p/rsession/ which is a higher level API/wrapper around the Rserve java client. It makes for easy coding.

A nice thing about R is that you can substitute the default BLAS (low level linear algebra stuff) with a (multithreaded) BLAS that is more performant. The Intel MKL BLAS, OpenBLAS and GotoBLAS are some alternatives. They can really boost the matrix multiplications.

Regards,
    Henrik

#18     Nov 29, 2011
  9. rosy2

rosy2

10. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

I wrote a couple of Random Walk experiments. SCILAB worked great so far! However, what the hell "execution until the caret, with echo" means? A weird term that I cannot understand. The SCILAB documentation definitely sucks and without that .ppt document I would be in trouble, thanks again, dsss27! But, overall it's doing its job for me so far!

Cheers,
    MAESTRO

#20     Nov 29, 2011