Scientists warn of 'emergency on global scale'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by futurecurrents, Mar 29, 2012.

1. "Leading scientists on Thursday called on the upcoming Rio Summit to grapple with environmental ills that they said pointed to "a humanitarian emergency on a global scale."
    In a "State of the Planet" declaration issued after a four-day conference, the scientists said Earth was now facing unprecedented challenges, from water stress, pollution and species loss to spiralling demands for food.
    They called on the June 20-22 followup to the 1992 Earth Summit to overhaul governance of the environment and sweep away a fixation with GDP as the sole barometer of wellbeing.
    "The continuing function of the Earth system as it has supported the wellbeing of human civilisation in recent centuries is at risk," said the statement issued at the "Planet Under Pressure" conference.
    "These threats risk intensifying economic, ecological and social crises, creating the potential for a humanitarian emergency on a global scale.""

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-warn-emergency-global-scale-185118563.html

2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

What are you doing to reduce your carbon emissions?

Do you own a car?

Do operate a furnace or air conditioner?

Do you fly on airliners?

What are you doing to set an example for others?

3. It's way way way too late already. We could stop burning everything tomorrow and the oceans would still acidify to the point of being lifeless except for jellyfish.
    Unless someone finds a way to suck all that carbon & methane out of the atmosphere, it's already all over except for the Fat Lady singing (but there's more of those every day what with all that increasing obesity, so the odds are that'll happen soon enough).
    Low lying areas? Oh man.
    Bangladesh? Gone.
    All those beautiful South Pacific islands? Mostly underwater.
    Manhattan? A nice big wall might be able to save it, but it's probably smarter to invest in land up in the Bronx or inland NJ. Gotta move all that stuff somewhere.
    Enjoy the lobster and Alaska king crab while you can. Your children may be able to for a while, but forget about your grandchildren. Screwed.

4. hahaha this is just good comedy at this point.

we've gone from global warming to climate change to.. global emergency. LOL when is this bullshit going to stop?

I've argued about AGW on this site.. and u know what I gave the resident ET 'scientists' too much credit. This is simply a ploy for money. These scientists referenced in your article, are frauds. Now they are dipping into economics and global hunger.. fuck off. They want/need financing to continue their wasteful, irrelevant and irrational "work". we all fucking know that there is global hunger and that economies are becoming more interdependent, it isn't our problem as US citizens to do anything about it. I'm serious, if you want want US taxpayer money then u should subject yourselves to our governance. What the US needs to do is distance itself from this nonsense and focus on self sufficiency. the UN building should be sold and the UN can hold their ideological circle-jerk "summits" (how arrogant) somewhere else. Please get the fuck out of the US.

5. Ah yes, a ploy for money. Brilliant. All the scientists are frauds. Oh of course. We don't need the rest of the world and we'll just put up a giant wall to keep all our good air in.

6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Welcome to P&R.

I agree with your post. I think its about taxing everyone. The fellow who posts this stuff can never answer my questions about what he is personally doing to mitigate his contribution to AGW.

7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Do you own a car?

Do you fly on airliners?

8. I'm afraid you're right. It will certainly get much worse before it gets better. I can see the capacity of the earth to sustain mankind getting so diminished that perhaps 20 30% of the population is eliminated and the rest enduring a very nasty time. A lot depends on the so-called tipping point beyond which the feedback loop will accelerate the catastrophe to extremes.

9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Do you own a car?

Do you fly on airliners?

Nothing, nothing at all? Figures. Just pure liberal hypocrisy.

10. +6

#10     Mar 29, 2012