Scientists: Time Travel Impossible

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JamesL, Jul 26, 2011.

1. nitro

nitro

People keep misquoting what Relativity says and it drives me crazy. Relativity says you can't accelerate passed the speed of light from a slower speed. It doesn't say you can't go faster than light.

Granted, no one has ever seen a tachyon, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Also, the speed of light is a speed limit, but it may not be a constant. It may well be that the SOL could have been and may be in the future much faster than it is now.

#11     Aug 1, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KX5jNnDMfxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

#12     Aug 1, 2011
  3. I could have told you it was impossible without all that mumbo jumbo.

#13     Aug 1, 2011
  4. Time travel is impossible because time is impossible. There is no time; there is only change.

Change can't be reversed on anything but a very small scale. Reversing change on a limited scale won't transport you to a past or future reality.

The past does not exist, the future does not exist, and the present is only infinitesimally extended; thus, there is no 'time'.

#14     Sep 24, 2011
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

6. TGregg

TGregg

This is an easy one. Suppose time travel is indeed possible, and further suppose we'll be able to do it "shortly" - that is to say, within our lifetimes. The population would have exploded during The One's first coronation. Not to mention all the witnesses flying in to see if Kennedy really was shot from a grassy knoll and that the WTC wasn't wired for explosives on 9/11. And don't offer up this idea of others seeing it, these conspiracy loons are immune to all evidence.

Naw, not in our lifetimes anyway. I know for a fact that I'd travel back just to give myself a heads up on a few things, even if it branched off to a new time line and my traveling self never got the advantage (unless it was really hard or really expensive, that is).

#16     Sep 27, 2012
  7. Not allowed to directly profit from future info, universe rules.

#17     Sep 27, 2012