Scientists slowly proving the bible is right.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by peilthetraveler, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Does it matter? The evidence for evolution of some type of being which has transformed into the present day "human" is there. Humans are constantly evolving. In 5000 years, people will look back on our generation and ponder whether or not to call us "humans" as they know it.

#11     Dec 10, 2010
  2. I do support science. As long as its accurate. I will even support some scientific theories without evidence as long as there is no counter evidence going against it. I will not accept scientific theories that are regarded as fact by the layperson, just because everyone else thinks its fact.

I understand there there is a huge difference between the word "evidence" and "proof" whereas most people think 1 piece of evidence means proof.

#12     Dec 10, 2010
  3. stu

stu

Occasionally busying oneself with the hard of thinking like jem and peilthetraveler , is just one way some of us give back to society. :p

#13     Dec 11, 2010
  4. Wallet

Wallet

When science finally climbs the last rung on the ladder of knowledge they will find a theologian sitting there asking "What took you so long?"

Wishing all a Merry Christmas!

#14     Dec 11, 2010
  5. the theologian will be saying. yea but god made the ladder. believers are a slippery lot. no matter how far science advances they always find a way to slip their god in a gap in our knowledge.

wishing all amerry Dies Natalis Invicti Solis.

"In Rome, the Winter Solstice was celebrated many years before the birth of Christ. The Romans called their winter holiday Saturnalia, honoring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. In January, they observed the Kalends of January, which represented the triumph of life over death. This whole season was called Dies Natalis Invicti Solis, the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun. The festival season was marked by much merrymaking. It is in ancient Rome that the tradition of the Mummers was born. The Mummers were groups of costumed singers and dancers who traveled from house to house entertaining their neighbors. From this, the Christmas tradition of caroling was born.

In northern Europe, many other traditions that we now consider part of Christian worship were begun long before the participants had ever heard of Christ. The pagans of northern Europe celebrated the their own winter solstice, known as Yule. Yule was symbolic of the pagan Sun God, Mithras, being born, and was observed on the shortest day of the year. As the Sun God grew and matured, the days became longer and warmer. It was customary to light a candle to encourage Mithras, and the sun, to reappear next year.

Huge Yule logs were burned in honor of the sun. The word Yule itself means “wheel,” the wheel being a pagan symbol for the sun. Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were thought to be a food of the gods.

The tree is the one symbol that unites almost all the northern European winter solstices. Live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. Evergreen boughs were sometimes carried as totems of good luck and were often present at weddings, representing fertility. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshipping huge trees.

In 350, Pope Julius I declared that Christ’s birth would be celebrated on December 25. "

#15     Dec 11, 2010
  6. Wallet

Wallet

I prefer Nativity scenes rather than the Santa and Christmas trees to represent what the Christmas season means to me. I'm fully aware of how the date came to represent the day of our Lord and Savior's natural birth, I'd be more inclined to pick a time around Easter as the Shepard's mentioned in Luke were probably those who raised and brought the sacrificial lambs/sheep for the passover offerings.

Regardless of the date, we honor Him as the world acknowledges His birth.

#16     Dec 11, 2010
  7. so you know that the nativity scene is nothing but a myth but you still feel a need to go through the motions of pretending it really happened? why? does it fulfill some need? personally i prefer intellectual honesty over superstitious ritual.

#17     Dec 11, 2010
  8. Mercor

Mercor

Presidents Day (or Presidents' Day), is the common name for the federal holiday officially designated as Washington's Birthday.
    In the United States, Presidents Day is always celebrated on the third Monday of February.

In 2000 years will there be confusion about the date of Washington's birth?

Celebratory dates change to fit society. This fact should not be used to prove nonexistence of an event.

#18     Dec 11, 2010
  9. Mercor

Mercor

You are confused...
    The transformation from animal to human is divine. Some say Humans dropped from heaven. I say physically we are dust but at some point we were given the gift of conscientious, thought, intellectual development.

#19     Dec 11, 2010
  10. Wallet

Wallet

Lol, everyone has there own opinion. I don't think there's that many folks who believe Jesus was a myth,( there are a few). Most debate was he really the Son of God?

#20     Dec 11, 2010