Scientists: Climate change is real

Discussion in 'Politics' started by futurecurrents, May 17, 2013.

1. As if the backing of NASA, 18 independent American scientific societies, and an intergovernmental panel established under the United Nations weren't enough to quell the protests popping up in comment sections across the Internet, a new study published in the journal Environmental Research Letters confirms — once again — that climatologists almost unanimously believe that climate change is directly related to human-made carbon emissions.

Researchers pored over nearly 12,000 peer-reviewed scientific papers from 1991 to 2011. These papers, according to Michael Todd at Pacific Standard, represented the work of 29,083 authors and 1,980 journals. The conclusion could hardly be stronger: 97 percent of scientists agree that anthropogenic, or human-caused, global warming exists.

"That suggests both a consensus, and an overwhelming one," adds Todd.
    "The public perception of a scientific consensus on [anthropogenic global warming] is a necessary element in public support for climate policy," conclude the study's authors. And yet, according to Pew Internet Research (PDF), 57 percent of Americans are unaware that there is an overwhelming scientific consensus.

Why the discrepancy? Big Oil is at least partly to blame. Following the negotiation of the Kyoto Protocol in 1998,

Popular Science reports that the American Petroleum Institute organized a task force to spend $5.9 million to "discredit climate scientists and quash growing public support of curbing emissions." The strategy, according to a leaked memo titled the "Global Climate Science Communications Plan," included efforts to "recruit, train, and pay willing scientists to sow doubt about climate science among the media and the public."

Times may be changing, though. Although "conservative white males" are more likely to be skeptics, as Scientific American noted in a controversial study published in 2011, the issue is beginning to divide conservatives, with more Republicans coming out in support of climate science.

(When asked if he believed in man-made global warming in April, Mayor Rex Parris of Lancaster, California, responded:"I may be a Republican. I'm not an idiot.")

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-climate-change-real-170400003.html

2. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I am going to be greatly amused in 40 years when AGW is debunked as complete junk - just as global cooling from the 1970s is viewed today.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Futurecurrents,

Please don't be offended by this, but you never create anything but tons of global warming threads. Since I don't believe in global warming as you have defined it, and care little about the subject altogether, but find that all these threads to clutter up the forum landscape, I'm just going to put you on ignore so I no longer see the topics.

You don't contribute anything to any of the topics I enjoy reading, and we've rarely had any discussion back and forth anyway. It's not personal, it's just efficiency. Nothing you have said has offended me, though. I hope you understand (and doubt you care either way).

-TT

4. Ricter

Ricter

Haha, this is the friendliest "ON IGNORE!!!1!!" I've ever seen.

5. pspr

pspr

LOL Nice Satire. But we all know that story came from the Onion (aka The Week). :D :D

But, of course, climate change is real. It is a natural process that happens constantly on earth.

It is man made global warming (aka AGW) that is the hoax.

6. Who cares if its real or not.(which it isnt) but lets say it is....so what? We all move a little further north. Most of Canada, Russia and Antarctica is empty. Plenty of Real estate there that is up for grabs.

7. When asked if he believed in man-made global warming in April, Mayor Rex Parris of Lancaster, California, responded:"I may be a Republican. I'm not an idiot."

Sadly, the same cannot be said for you pisspoor.

8. pspr

pspr

Now you quote mayors - not scientists. Most scientists are moving to the natural climate change camp unless they are dependent upon the government AGW dollars. It must irk you royally to be so consistently wrong.

I'm in the camp that is right. You are too stupid to even go look at a chart of temperatures and see that there hasn't been any global warming in 17 years.

You must be allergic to facts, dummy. Some day maybe you'll get it. Until then you can keep making a fool of yourself.

9. I observed myself 20,000 times over the course of my life, and each time I did this, I didnt die. Therefore I can conclude with a high degree of certainty that I am immortal and will never die.

So...whats wrong with my premise? I mean...statistically it seems very probable that I am immortal and if I gave that data to scientists, they would have to agree.

But maybe one or two scientists might say "Hey...you cant just observe yourself. You have to observe other humans."

Ok fuck-faces...then you have to observe other planets and see if global warming is happening on them too.

Pluto, Mars, Neptune, & Neptunes moon Triton have all experienced global warming. So either there are aliens with cars & coal factories on those planets, or man-made global warming is Bullshit.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wryheat/2011/11/29/global-warming-on-mars-neptune-and-pluto/

10. Ricter

Ricter

"Ok fuck-faces...then you have to observe other planets and see if global warming is happening on them too.

Pluto, Mars, Neptune, & Neptunes moon Triton have all experienced global warming. So either there are aliens with cars & coal factories on those planets, or man-made global warming is Bullshit."

Lmao!

#10     May 17, 2013