Scientist retract 50 year old paper

Discussion in 'Politics' started by james_bond_3rd, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Hans
    (formerly Heidegger)

#51     Oct 30, 2007
  2. stu

stu

I would suggest a little even handedness on your part as a religionist wouldn't go amiss. Understanding how superstition based belief isn't particularly worthy as a claim of value might be a good start.
    49% leap of faith 51% skepticism / reasoning
    49% skepticism 51% leap of faith / suffocating belief.

#52     Oct 31, 2007
  3. Sounds like we've got a couple Ayn Rand fans in here.

#53     Oct 31, 2007
  4. what did ayn rand say that is so wrong ? :confused:

#54     Oct 31, 2007
  5. Wasn't implying that Rand was wrong. Just that some of these posts sound like they are coming straight from her mouth. Just an observation, not a criticism.

#55     Oct 31, 2007
  6. I have no desire to debate the nature of truth with mystics (and I don't even know if you're one of them). I was simply pointing out the fact that the word 'faith' was misued in the post I quoted.

For the faithful, truth is received. To the men of reason, truth is not received. It must be sought out.

#56     Nov 4, 2007
  7. Yes, probably true. I personally don't agree with everything she said, but there is a hell of a lot in there that resonates for a me

#57     Nov 4, 2007
  8. Yes, you ably demonstrate the difference between the two usages of the word. It is the blind adherence to a received truth that is the objectionable demonstration of faith. For an entreprenuer to have faith that he will succeed by virtue of the exercise of his mind and body is another thing altogether.

#58     Nov 4, 2007