Scientific evidence suggests that lifting weights can help relieve symptoms of depression

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, May 17, 2018.

1. http://www.businessinsider.com/resistance-training-can-relieve-symptoms-of-depression-2018-5

There's now scientific evidence to suggest that lifting weights can help relieve symptoms of depression

[​IMG]
    Weight lifting could help support a healthy mind, according to research from the University of Limerick.

• New research suggests resistance training could benefit your mind, as well as your physical health.
    • Researchers at the University of Limerick, Ireland conducted a major study into the effects of resistance exercise training (RET) on the symptoms of depression.
    • They concluded it can "significantly reduce symptoms among adults," but said it's not a cure and further research is needed.
    The physical benefits of resistance training, such as burning fat and building lean muscle, are widely recognised — and now new research suggests that it could also support a healthy mind.

In a paper published in JAMA Psychiatry, researchers at the University of Limerick, Ireland, conducted a meta-analysis of 33 clinical trials involving 1,877 participants into the effects of resistance exercise (RET) training on the symptoms of depression, such as feelings of worthlessness, a loss of interest in activities, and low mood.

The authors of the study concluded that "resistance exercise training significantly reduced depressive symptoms among adults." This was regardless of how much training they did, if they gained strength from it, or the participants' overall health status.

Lead author of the paper Brett Gordon told TIME that this doesn't mean it's a cure for depression, but said that the evidence is compelling.

He is quoted as saying: "Interestingly, larger improvements were found among adults with depressive symptoms indicative of mild-to-moderate depression compared to adults without such scores, suggesting RET may be particularly effective for those with greater depressive symptoms."

Although the paper didn't go into detail about what RET does for the brain, past studies have shown that exercise can promote increased blood flow to the organ, and release mood-enhancing chemicals like endorphins.

Gordon went on to tell TIME that resistance training shows signs of working just as well as other depression treatments, such as antidepressants and behavioural therapies.

He advised following the American College of Sports Medicine's guidelines on resistance training, which involves training at least twice per week doing eight to 12 reps of eight to 10 different strength-based exercises each time.

In their conclusion, the authors of the University of Limerick study added that further research is needed into the field.

Clubber Lang and Sprout like this.
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Also smelling flowers. Try it!

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

DTB2 likes this.
  4. A post from a florist's site? Okay...

The article I posted refers to a study written up in a psychiatric journal:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/article-abstract/2680311?redirect=true

Does your flower therapy do this:

I get your point. But let's not get caught up in false equivalency.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. I agree. In many, not all, but many cases the best treatment for depression is vigorous exercise. And for me, followed by a slow walk through the woods with my dog.

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

...while smelling the flowers.

7. And watching the birds. As a side note, I started bird watching about 4 years ago to appease the wife who is an avid bird watcher. Something to do together kind of thing. Turns out to be quite relaxing and interesting as well. Had you told me 30 years ago I'd be bird watching and enjoying it, I probably would have slit my wrists right then and there. Life, it do change.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

I am a bird listener. (Birdher or bird hearer)

I don't watch them just like to listen to their songs on Youtube, mostly at the end of the winter when in the morning I do my stretches and try to trick my mind into believing that the spring is already here.