Science Vs. God

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Nov 18, 2008.

Which one has brought the most benefit to your life?

1. Progress through faith in God

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Progress through The Scientific Method

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  3. Both about equal

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Fuck 'em both

5 vote(s)
    10.9%

1. When someone is dying, they sometimes are fearful. Yes, how he found comfort is questionable. But at that point in time it is about letting a person feel comfort, and no need to question their integrity. I guess he said in his mind "What if I am wrong in my beliefs?" He was afraid?

#31     Nov 20, 2008
  2. stu

stu

I see what you mean but no, that's too simplistic. You know you will face death, you make judgements your whole life with that knowledge. It is absolutely about integrity Every decision and knowledge the man came to and acquired was tossed aside to the whim of a flakey wager. What price a little comfort ? Any cost isn't too much apparently for some. Having the fortitude stand by ones own convictions can also be a real comfort

#32     Nov 20, 2008

3. Ok, so he thought he was a non believer all his life...until he knew his death was coming any day. If he truely did not believe his whole life, then he would be comforted to know that he will feel nothing, and not go to hell when he dies. He must have had doubts, and not convinced absolutely of no god, or he would have felt peaceful with dying. He had no convictions, just wonder? Not convinced of anything? Could be.

#33     Nov 20, 2008
  4. What if they're not mutually exclusive?

What if they're the same?

What if the spark that creates the building blocks of 'stuff' has the power to let it evolve given the parameters initially set (or lack thereof)?

#34     Nov 20, 2008
  5. my words are in your head, you can't get them out even if you try, they work on you and change you in ways you will never become aware of, while you are asleep they think for you, they are the endless song without a need to rhyme, when you wake up they are the hidden voice inside your head

#35     Nov 21, 2008

6. :D Hmm? Your words are another opinion to read on ET.

#36     Nov 21, 2008
  7. Next question.

Christ!

#37     Nov 21, 2008
  8. my grades were dispersed in the low 1's and medium 3's, not much in between.

#38     Nov 21, 2008

9. the comfort I refered to was entirely provided while living ... not while fearing death.

smart people right-off god as little more than a superstition, (granted god has been packaged in such a way). I long ago overcame that prejudice, god is perfect. At least my god is.

My god is a perfect cube

#39     Nov 21, 2008
  10. Birds have their nests;
    foxes have their holes;
    but the one who would know himSelf has no place to lay his head.
    The one who would know the Self GoD gave him is the one who stops the effort of trying to define who he is.

Who am I within the world?
    Where is my place in the world?
    These questions cannot be answered.

The one who will know thy Self may ask these questions. But the one who will know GoD's gift will be satsified when the answer does not come. Because, it is through no definition that definition is given. It is through no place that place is found.

The best you can do is understand that everything is "within" you.
    You are everything.

You encompass everything. You encompass GoD. Where is GoD located? Where? There is no "place" separate from another place in GoD. There is no mind separate from another mind. So the concept of place is out of place in GoD. The concept of place renders feelings associated with being out of your mind. Place is for the feelings associated with being separated, one thing from another. What does it feel like? You are welcome to feel the feelings as long as you like. Feel them to the full. When you weary of the feelings, you can change your mind and make another choice.

Questions:
    Where is your mind when you go to sleep?
    Where do the characters in your dreams come from?

If you are in Toledo, the next question is, how do I get something to eat? What will I wear? What is my position relative to others? And on an on go the questions.
    You are not in Toledo.

Christ!

#40     Nov 23, 2008