Sci, Meta, and Trading 2: Philosophy and Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by WDGann, Apr 12, 2003.

1. "I know that it is difficult to teach people but that it is easy to deceive them. They learn with difficulty,and even when they do learn something from the few that know what they are talking about, they are deceived even more quickly by those who do not know what they are talking about. And they are deceived not only by others but even by themselves. For the truth is bitter and unpleasant to people who do not think, while things that are not true are sweet and attractive. One might draw an analogy to people who have sore eyes: when one's eyes are sore, it is painful to look at the light an it is comfortable to look into the darkness even though one can't see very much.... Now, as I have said, it is difficult for people to learn. But it is even more difficult for people to change their beliefs, especially when they have been hearing nonsense for a long time.... It is not easy to alter their opinions, regardless of how many arguments you have to prove their error."

Dio Chrysostom

(Greek philosopher AD40 - AD112)

#21     Apr 13, 2003
  2. Harry said : 'Now for practical day-to-day living or trading you would say "I don't need any demonstration since my esoteric stuff works". '

That is true as the proof is in the eating of the pudding and one needs nop more than that.

Imagine there was someone on this site who had run into something which 'schmacks' of the Holy grail, why would he or she go out of their way and make it public as long as there are pissfarts like Longshot and Saynt around trying to impede a genuine discussion which may possibly lead to somewhere ?

freealways

BTW, you probably won't find the word 'schmacks' in your dictionary. It has more or less the meaning of 'tastes'

#22     Apr 13, 2003
  3. babelfish gives me "pissfarts" translation in french : "pissfarts" :D So I don't know what this term means can you use another term because I don't understand your phrase :)

#23     Apr 14, 2003
  4. actually one needs more proof than eating if you want the Truth. "taste" can be very deceiving. :-/

#24     Apr 14, 2003
  5. What is useful is more epistemology of science in general and as for market geometry newton's geometry is even more useful than QM :D

QM generates much epistemology problem and in fact it has been replaced by the "String Theory" because QM makes impossible Gravitation law this is rather counterfact :D. Now Tesla the greatest genious of all modern physics who invented electricity and - General Electric should have belonged to him if JP Morgan has not stolen him :D - says that ultimate entity is a corpuscule not a wave and that ultimate law is still of mechanical nature. He is the one who affirms that there is an infinite source of energy that there is no emptyness (which rehabilates the ether concept who has been rejected and at the origin of Einstein's intuition nevertheless at the end of his life Einstein changed his mind. it's often a question of evolution of concept about what "ether" means) ... that's why perhaps at his death FBI ceased all his papers and Russians make everything possible so that people forget his name except for the tesla unit of physics (A survey in engineering school showed that only 2 students over 50 knows about him !). As I said many physicians take their inspiration from metaphysics. As for him his inspiration comes from hindouism.

Many researchers in alternative nuclear energy fields are basing their research on Tesla's research and I saw some researchers complaining that they are prevented to deposit their patents. In a story one researcher has been approved by an ingineer of the patent bureau but curiously this engineer was then sacked and he was given no explanation.

#25     Apr 14, 2003
  6. WDGann, you haven't wasted your time starting this thread as
    elsewhere Harrytrader posted a website address for a most interesting article about Remote Viewing
    See http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...ading+by+remote

Is there anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to read this article as yet ?

I believe the phenomenon discussed in that article is closely related to what I mentioned about synchronicity.

After one reads this pretty convincing article which Harrytrader mentioned to us are we prepared to accept what the writer of the article told us ?

If so, where do we go from here ?

freealways

#26     Apr 15, 2003
  7. Let me precise : I am not against "paranormal" facts if it is proved that it is not statistical artefact. A fact is a fact whatever you can pretend. A raw fact nevertheless is not always statistically significant so I am against FALSE SIGNIFICANT FACTS (not statistically significant) and if it is statistically significant on second step I am against FALSE EXPLANATION of these facts. That is to say if someone pretend that the explanation of this thing - which ever is proved by standard academic - is due to QM I will not agree ! The guy in this remote viewing experience seems to have tried to be honest with the statistical procedure he describes - I always presuppose that the guy is not a liar - if it is as he describes then statistically it is significant. But there is no explanation per academic standard.

It is the same thing for stock market and the moon effect. I have observed that there seem to be a significant statistical occurence of turning points coïcidant with moon phases - I have still to make some more rigorous test - but as I have my own equations model I affirm that even if it is proved that there is a statistical bias that is significant with moon phases, this will even renforce that the market is manipulated by human interests at the very intraday subscale - in fact the intraday is what permits that kind of manipulation technically speaking and not legally or morally speaking since it is normally forbidden - which would (this is an hypothesis at the moment) make coïncide the rational model (mine or a more sophisticated one) with lunar phases. Because rationally price is driven by equilibrium level which can be rather precise whereas time shouldn't be except if there is some artificial constraint. if I didn't have my equations I would not know if these prices could be precise or not but I know that there are very precise and there is no reason that the moon cycle which concerns time knows about the price wharf ! So there must be some synchronisation between prices and times that can only be done by humans (I mean an algorithm fabricated by humans because at intraday level this would be impossible without algorithm). This doesn't suppose that all market makers are conspiring, it only needs that one market maker or even an unknown operator operate (through the algorithm of course) on the market. This operator could be an entity of the central bank. In fact there is the so called "Market Intervention Team" who has been created by a presidential order so that what is normally illegal in spirit of free market has now turned into legal stuff although they avoid to let it know to the public mass.

#27     Apr 15, 2003
  8. I have even found another research about "global conciousness" that seems to be statistically significant:
    http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

If it is proved this could be connected to the military HAARP project which can manipulate this global conciousness. In fact Tesla has made research about that, as I said his papers were ceased by the FBI as soon as he died.

#28     Apr 15, 2003
  9. where you ask? why don't you go get your free and easy money? it's there waiting for a guy like to claim it. just show them your "synchronicity" proof and it's all yours.

bwhahahahahaha!

http://www.skepdic.com/randi.html

#29     Apr 15, 2003
  10. Hello, Hello, Hello, another silly post from Longshot ........I thought.

Surprise, surprise, surprise, Longshot has actually something worthwhile to contribute.

Yes, that was an interesting article Longshot and I will follow it up.

The two problems I see at this stage are that

1. synchronicity isn't an ability which I personally have got, it is a, how shall I describe it, a faculty which just happens to exist in nature.

It is a bit like talking about humidity or warmth from the sun. If I happen to know about the existence of these kind of things it doesn't mean that I myself have the ability to create humidity or heat from the sun.

At the most I will be able to demonstrate the existence of this phenomenon.

Now the Australian Skeptics Society (or whatever they call themselves) aren't just crankpots, they are a group of people who want to poke a bit of fun at someone at that someone's expense so as to get themselves in the limelight i.e. get a bit of free publicity for themselves, have their name mentioned in the newspaper, they even offer a reward if successful except that the conditions are so onerous that it is most unlikely that one would be able to satisfy their criteria and one would thus be unable to claim the reward. (more about this in point 2)

2. The Australian Skeptic Society however want the challenger to beat million to one odds against a chance result. That is a pretty steep condition to fulfill.

I have not been able to discover what requirements (i.e. staistical evidence) the James Randi people appear to have. A good thing is that they 'merely' want evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event.

I note specifically that the James Randi Educational Foundation
    says : "To date, no one has ever passed the preliminary tests."

It certainly looks like they too want to hang on to their money
    at all cost (I don't blame them :D )

Nevertheless it is interesting enough for me to follow up the lead which our brother Longshot so generously ( :D ) supplied.

I will report further, (have great confidence however that their criteria too will be impossible to satisfy :D ).

My offer to both Saynt and Longshot to have a bet with them still stands of course. I would be required to beat 300,000 to one odds against a chance result and am willing to only accept just one third of these odds for any reasonable size of amount to be staked by me. (Actually the problem of coming up with a stake will be Saynt's and longshot's, not mine.)

freealways

#30     Apr 15, 2003