Schwab cuts commissions to zero on US stocks, options and ETFs

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by m22au, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Is $0 commissions for futures even possible? (beyond the Tradovate model where you pay a subscription price per month for unlimited trades) I didn't think they could sell order flow information for futures and thus there are no rebates on the back-end... In any case, they might need start cutting these commissions on futures to compete.

#51     Oct 3, 2019
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

I doubt we would see 0 comm on futures. Centralized exchange and small compared to equities.

#52     Oct 3, 2019
  3. Cabin111

Cabin111

Hey, just wondering if more widow and orphan stocks (IBM, VZ, ADM, MCD) will be bought and held with the 0 commissions platform? Small value investors may choose to buy 10 shares of MCD every month...

#53     Oct 3, 2019
  4. Overnight

Overnight

I am totally comfortable paying my commish on futures trades. My broker is inexpensive enough. A commish war between futures brokers would be very very interesting, but very destructive for said brokers I think.

If my trading comes down to make or break on commish, I need to rethink my strategy. Oi!

#54     Oct 3, 2019
  5. birdman

birdman

I'm guessing zero commission does not apply to exchange and clearing fees. Today (first day of zero commission) and Ameritrade charged me just under $2 per trade, which it was just under $10 yesterday (counting commission and fees) so that's an improvement.

#55     Oct 3, 2019
  6. zdave83

zdave83

" Clients, both new and existing, will be able to select between using IBKR Lite and IBKR Pro for a limited number of times. Like other competitors, Interactive Brokers will route IBKR Lite orders to market makers in exchange for order flow payments. IBKR Pro users will continue to receive the best prices the brokerage can secure via sophisticated algorithms " -- IBKR

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/interactive-brokers-announces-commission-free-220537924.html

#56     Oct 3, 2019
  7. qwerty11

qwerty11

It's not generally true because it's on Nanex or in "Flash Boys". They have a story to sell, for lots of stock/situations this is not how it works in practice... Effectively they're describing the worst case...

#57     Oct 3, 2019
  8. qwerty11

qwerty11

You mean a limit order that is executable immediately? Because I would be surprised if a standing order on an actual venue (i.e. not "hold back" by the broker) is executed other than at it's own price.

#58     Oct 3, 2019
  9. ironchef

ironchef

My bank offered me $0 commission trades for years. Schwab, I twisted their arm a couple of years ago to get $0 commission.

Now most brokers offer $0 commission.

#59     Oct 4, 2019
    trader99 likes this.
  10. Kammo

Kammo

Saving $4.95 on an options trade doesn't mean much for a lot of us if you're still paying $0.65 per contract. Robinhood does not charge a commission OR a per-contract fee on options trades. Does TradeZero charge per contract?

#60     Oct 5, 2019