Schwab cuts commissions to zero on US stocks, options and ETFs

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by m22au, Oct 1, 2019.

1. When brokers make money off of selling order flow, is frontrunning occurring or does it just mean you can not take liquidity?

#21     Oct 1, 2019
  2. birdman

birdman

My Ameritrade rate is 6.95 but my the time they tack on exchange fees, my cost per trade today was $10.43

I'm guessing Schwab will still tack on exchange fees?

#23     Oct 1, 2019
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Wait... you were commission free with Schwab for a couple years?

#24     Oct 1, 2019
  4. tm689

tm689

I can understand how they can make money on market orders but I just wonder how they can make money on limit orders buying at the current bid and selling at the current offer.

#26     Oct 1, 2019
  5. notagain

notagain

desperate for market share Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.19.46 PM.png

#27     Oct 1, 2019
  6. ETJ

ETJ

Too much of a monopoly in futures trading - in securities it has been coming for years - the missing piece was they needed a better rate on the 10 year. A price war in institutional and a shuttering of some desks occurred. I would now fear smaller accounts will get booted next - not sure how soon, but that could be next.
    BTW watch the rebating/maker - taker and PFOF get reduced now. They know how tough it is to raise prices back up.

#28     Oct 1, 2019
  7. ETJ

ETJ

#29     Oct 1, 2019
  8. I assume by "they" you mean market makers. They sub-penny the limit orders until the market moves against you (which they are the first to see), then they take your limit order.

#30     Oct 1, 2019
    BlueWaterSailor likes this.