School Suspens Student For Removing Mexican Flag

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, May 7, 2010.

1. Apparently now, you not only can't display the American flag in school, you have to be content to walk around under the mexican flag. What's next?

The website has pictures of the giant flag draped over the school's hallway.

Friday 05-07-2010 10:11am CT

Local School Suspends Student for Removing MEXICAN Flag

Yesterday, a listener’s son was offended that his school, Klein Collins High School, displayed the Mexican flag prominently. His mother called to complain, and the school wouldn’t return her call. The student took the sign down.

The school pitched a fit, reviewed the surveillance tapes, found the student, and suspended him for 3 days. AND he has to pay for the flag. In light of the SF story of students sent home for wearing the AMERICAN flag because it offended the Hispanic students, I thought you’d like to know about a story closer to home.

Right here in our community. Feel free to let the school know what you think. You pay their salaries.

Klein Collins High School (832) 484.5500. Assistant Principal handling the case: Mr. Shelly Dick. Seriously.

Call Mr. Dick and let him have it. The Superintendent is Jim Cain.

You realize, I assume, that if a student removed – or even burned – the AMERICAN flag, they wouldn’t do anything about it, I’ll bet.

Click Here to hear the interview with the student, Nick Morris

http://www.ktrh.com/pages/michaelberry.html

2. :-/

3. I wonder what would happen if it was July 4th and kids in mexico complained of other kids wearing a mexican flag on US independence day. I wonder if kids at a mexican school would get suspended in mexico for removing an american flag on july 4th.

I'm half Irish. I wear green on St. Patricks day, but I would not wear an Irish flag on that day. Nor would I wear an american flag on July 4th if I lived in Ireland as I feel it is completely disrepectful to Ireland to pull that kind of thing while living in their country. If someone wore an irish flag in ireland on July 4th, I would not have any problem with it even in the least.

So whats going on with these kids. Why are they so disrepectful that they have to raise their mexican flag in our country? Do they think mexico is so great? If so, why dont they live there? Some mexicans will say this is their country because they helped build it. If thats true, why isnt mexico built up like the US?

4. Aren't the klannish big on protecting the property rights of others?

Apparently not when the personal property in question is a Mexican flag...

5. Is this somehow about property rights? I thought it was about displaying national flags at a public school... right? This wasn't about someone displaying a flag on their private property was it? :confused:

6. Unless the flag belonged to the student who removed it...the student was ignoring the property rights of the owner of the flag, and the school did the right thing by sending the offender home...

7. Mav88

Mav88

bullshit argument by optional- you can't go to a public school and hang your flag. Try it with a nazi flag, see how fast it gets taken down by officials and see how fast the courts uphold it.

8. If officials take it down, that is one thing.

If a student takes it down on their own...that is a different thing...

If it bothers a student, have them work through the proper channels of the system...not act outside of the rules...

If they act outside of the rules...they get sent home. Period.

9. "jem

New Post 05-07-10 04:41 PM

Or the child could have determined the flag was abandoned and therefore he had every right to remove it.

He determined it was abandoned, therefore he had every right to remove it?

I bet that question isn't on the Bar exam.

"If ________ determines that _________ is abandoned, then he has every right to remove it."

True or false.

ROTFLMAO...

10. PatternRec

PatternRec Guest

Indeed, it's theft.

However, the school is not indemnified. They are can be held liable for sanctioning an action (allowing the flag to be draped in a promiment manner) that could potentially incite disruption and violence. Something which jeopardizes the safety of students and impedes the mission to educate.

Had the Mexican flag been part of a display that commemorates Mexican heritage, then that would be in keeping with the school's mission to educate.

#10     May 7, 2010