Schaefer's Journal of Nikkei 225 Mini.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Schaefer, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Schaefer

Schaefer

Thank you Learner, I'll try and adjust to the present market conditions.

I think, it's great that more people are trading it. I wish, I could get those rates from here. I'm paying 300 Yen round trip to IB :(

I'm going to have to emphasize more on intraday swing, versus scalping, as my commissions are way too high compared to the locals.

Regards,
    Schaefer

#41     Mar 14, 2008
  2. Hi Jander,

No that is a incorrect assumption. Osaka has far far more volume. Even the fullsize trades more volume.

With kind regards,
    MK

#42     Mar 14, 2008
  3. Hi Learner,

Several times in the past I have searched for an alternative broker for the Nikkei but have come up empty. Would you mind offering some guidance? IB still has not brought the unbundled rates into line and are charging 300Â¥ RT!

Thanks in advance,
    MK

#43     Mar 14, 2008
  4. Hi Schaefer,

I've been enjoying your journal today. I've been trading the Nikkei (SGX and Osaka) for about 3 years now. I had difficulty trading it when I was trading other markets on a daily basis (stoxx50, ES). Things became better for me when I only focused on the Nik because as you point out - it does move quite different.

I suspect you are using IB as your datafeed? IB volume data is in error - it is quite well documented here on ET. It gets worse around rollover time. Maybe that is why the T&S confuses you. Having used IB for data and then using feeds from companies that specialize in data distribution - there is a very big difference!

My best wishes to your Nikkei success. I'm enjoying the read.

My kind regards,
    MK

#44     Mar 14, 2008
  5. Jander

Jander

Hi MK..

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding, we are in agreement :D I assumed the Osaka had more volume, thanks for verifying that. Good trading to you

#45     Mar 14, 2008

6. Hi,
    You asked the next most common question to 'How to make
    money?'.
    Being in Japan I have no need to know the answer to your
    question, so I've not done that much checking. And I've not
    heard of anyone finding an alternative broker to IB through
    which you could trade on OSE. There are a few for SGX.
    However, Newedge is a new joint venture between Société Générale and Calyon. They are OSE members. You might want
    to contact Kirby.DALEY@newedgegroup.com and see if they
    can help.
    IB's fee of 300 yen was set when the Nikkei Mini was listed and
    before the local price war began. But 1 tick and you're clear.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

#46     Mar 14, 2008
  7. Hi Learner,

Indeed you are right - 1 tick and you are clear. I'm always on the lookout for ways to cut costs. These guys you mention look a little beyond where I am now. I will keep this in mind for the future though - thank you.

My kind regards,
    MK

#47     Mar 15, 2008
  8. Schaefer

Schaefer

Hi, MK,

I'm glad you're enjoying the journal, and thank you for the tip. I'm a blue collar day laborer by day, and a wanna be day trader by night. So I have to keep my expenses to the minimums.

A good advice I've gotten from Kiwi a long time ago was that, if I did not know what I was doing, I would be losing anyways, regardless of the data feed :p

So until then, I'm gonna have to make do with IB's data feed.

Schaefer

PS: Please feel free to critique my trading mischiefs, and your thoughts, and opinions on Nikkei are also welcome here.

#48     Mar 15, 2008
  9. lakeshow

lakeshow

I don't mean to threadjack your journal, but would there be any interest among the Japan traders to have Japan focused market discussions(Nikkei, JGBs, stocks, yen, anything else) on a private forum or chat room? I am currently doing things solo, and my main focus is on news and events, but I would welcome discussion of trade ideas/analysis. Even if it were just a few of us, perhaps something to consider.

#49     Mar 16, 2008

10. Hi,

I just found that TT will offer connectivity to OSE soon.
    http://www.tradingtechnologies.com/

Good luck!

#50     Mar 16, 2008