Schadenfreude Warning: "Karen the Supertrader"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Niten Doraku, Jun 1, 2016.

1. drcha

drcha

WTF is wrong with me that I am still following this thread? I know Karen will fail; it's just a matter of time. Why do I think I need to see it happen? I'm usually not the type to follow fire trucks or tornadoes around......anyway, I bought some AMTD a couple of months ago. My way of joining the dark side.

#271     Aug 1, 2016
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Thank you for sharing the article.

Yes I was one of those mom and pop investors that ventured into options trading watching them, following the "trade small, trade often" approach.

As for Piss Poor Results, well, their backtesting results of selling options/straddles/strangles were all profitable. It was piss poor only when I tried them (mechanically selling) with real money.:banghead: Fortunately (or unfortunately) for me, I decided to continue trading but developed my own methodology.

What I like about options trading is, though challenging, intellectually it is very stimulating and there is logic in this madness!:finger:

Regards,

#272     Aug 3, 2016
    CBC likes this.
  3. I was addressing people who attempt to trade options exclusively. Yes, if you limit options trading to a very small portion of your account you might survive... but very few traders actually do this. So few in fact that the practice has little basis in reality. And, there is no pressing need to trade options with even a small portion of your account. A good trader should be able to make his millions simply trading stocks. There is no need to touch options. For the vast majority of traders, options are addictively dangerous.

#273     Dec 6, 2016
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

If it was only this easy.

#274     Dec 7, 2016
  5. I get bombarded with solicitations to buy into "option services". Seems they all want ~$3,000/yr for their advice.

Though the high return percentages on trades advertised are enticing, here's what I think is the reality:

1. You may make 100%+ on many option positions, but you'll have so little of your overall capital into those that you'll need 100 winners to net +1% on your portfolio. IOW.... too busy for not much financial gain.

2. If you're a "conservative" player/buyer, options make little sense unless you lever up your portfolio. You might as well just play the stocks and not screw with the time premium. (Then again, if you hold a portfolio there is some benefit from increasing your yield with writing covered calls, but that's not what expensive option services are touting.)

3. If you do get lured into using options for leverage... well, there's the lever risk... as is with all leveraged vehicles.

4. For the most part, the few making big money on options are those selling the service. Options seem like the days of the gold rush. The real money was in selling picks and shovels to the miners.

I know... I'm going to get tons of responses about how I'm "full of beans". "I turned my $5,000 account into $11,000 last year". I want to hear from the guy who traded his entire portfolio of $500,000 and turned it into $1,000,000 with options. And sure, a few might have done that... but the majority with $500K wouldn't commit their entire portfolio to such great speculation and risk.

FWIW...

#275     Dec 7, 2016
    Gotcha likes this.
  6. Gotcha

Gotcha

I couldn't agree more. I don't know very much about options, and it initially seems incredible when you see 100% gains... but when you consider that a SPY call or put goes from $1 to $2, and hence 100% gain, this means $100. So then you think ok, just buy a few hundred (never mind the commissions), but then you see the volume on these things, and you wonder, where are the big players?

They are perhaps good for gambling, maybe good for hedging, but as a day trading or swing trading vehicle, I'm not sure sure. Heck, you can even be right about the direction and make not very much because of the whole decay thing.

#276     Dec 7, 2016
  7. RedDuke

RedDuke

There is a way to make money in option consistently, but it is hard and bumpy.

Look at Tony Caine from LJM partners. They are managing several hundred millions and have been doing it now for around 15 years or so. They are in the business of selling options.

#277     Dec 8, 2016
    Southampton and Martinghoul like this.
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

Great. Open a journal here or a hedge fund and show us how easy it is.

As for options, you're oversimplifying things greatly. There are MANY ways to trade them. I agree that buying calls/puts is a lot easier said than done, but it's easy to market ("Make 200% instead of just 8% if you bought the stock"). However, there's option selling (full of pitfalls, but can be done profitably) and tons of ways to combine/manage/hedge/adjust various option positions. Some are safer than simply buying stocks.

#278     Dec 9, 2016
    RedDuke likes this.