Scary market

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cutten, Oct 8, 2008.

1. I would not say worst or scariest market, but a little bit different. Actually I remember 2001 and 2002 had days as crazy like right now and last 2-3 weeks.

I remember sending ES orders then and executed instantly but up to 2 or 3 points away where bid/ask was at the time I clicked. The reason was not delayed quotes, but bid asks jumping like crazy, as I did some studies and experiments to confirm that my broker was not screwing me.

Right now I have much better executions, but the moves are relentless.

These days it's like the whole day is a payroll or fed rate announcement. Quite fast and relentless market and it doesnt ever stop.

Three weeks ago and before it s been pretty mild IMHO not like a true bear market. THIS is a bear market.

#21     Oct 8, 2008
  2. It's actually very dumbfounding to listen to market commentators reporting "strong volatility and markets down - but we never know what will happen, and maybe it will turn around before the end of the day" ... and then smile with a silly smile amongst the turmoil.

That folly never ceases to surprise me... USD 2 trillion lost in 5 days. That sounds like a pretty good basis for optimism. NOT...

The bottom is nowhere near anytime soon - those listening to these optimists will be the one paying the tabs...

#22     Oct 8, 2008
  3. Permabulls will be right - some day. Just like permabears are having their 15 minutes right now.

#23     Oct 8, 2008
  4. rros

rros

Well... for what is worth, we still do not have a new President in place, with a new economic plan that may indicate new leadership in stocks. Does anyone here think that we will not have a market rally until a few weeks after the election, even if credit markets get fixed? Looks like markets want Bernanke, Paulson and Bush out!

#24     Oct 8, 2008
  5. Permageriatric dinosaurs will never be profitable - they just act on the extremes and are prone to self-destruction.

#25     Oct 8, 2008
  6. Seems the US treasury announcing USD 40bn debt selling has an impact on "psychology" - or maybe the "brain"...

10-yr and 30-yr yields are up, but this is just the start of the bailout financing...

#26     Oct 8, 2008
  7. market not scary at all. No lost sleep.

#27     Oct 8, 2008

8. You must be the resident perma-bull.

#28     Oct 8, 2008
  9. Happy to hear your Valiums are working - brother of truth and love, keymaster of room 101.

#29     Oct 8, 2008