Scalps or scalping?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by welo, Jul 18, 2003.

1. welo

welo

I keep encountering this term around here and wonder if I'm misinterpreting it. I always thought scalping was pretty much a "Boiler Room" tactic permeating the Vancouver Exchange, yet some people tend to mention it so casually I figure either:

A) I am misinterpreting what they're saying
    B) The terminology has changed and it means something different than it used to
    C) There may be a difference between "scalping" and "scalps" I'm missing

Considering I'm just learning all this and my most available reference is a 20 year old copy of "The Words Of Wall Street", I'd appreciate if someone could clarify. :)

2. A 10 second trade for 5 cents.

3. Is the 5 cents predetermined, or can it change depending on price action?

sulong

4. IN2WIN

IN2WIN

For me it going for 1.25 to 1.75 S&P (actually ES - but I use the SP chart) points that are not standard trades in my system, but based on an indicator failure and or a likely move off a trending MA.

As I don't often return to see reply posts, PM me if you'd like more info.
    Best of luck

5. ChrisRT

ChrisRT

6. I see you you are a long term holder :)...actually, i prefer the 10 cent hold.

7. welo

welo

Okay, That's a pretty comprehensive link. Thanks Chris.

8. ChrisRT

ChrisRT

I was just joking with Threei about a few things in this post...using online broker and 33.6K modem...not using charts at all (which we both do now)...and talking about prices in fractions..oh the glory days of slow connections, delayed confirmations and TUMS.

Have a good weekend.

Chris