Scalping_My Way with ACV

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by VSTscalper, Apr 27, 2006.

1. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi VSTscalper,

Great info. Thanks for starting this thread.

Are you planning any other webinars?

I saw few posts in past about totaling bids vs asks, but it was not until I read you documents with examples where I got its significance. Obviously the challenging part is to filter fake ones. Paul Rotter who traded and may still trades BUND on Eurex was using flip tactics all the time to scare people out/in positions.

Regards,
    redduke

#41     Jul 13, 2006
  2. JCBLESS

JCBLESS

I would like more information on how to trade with this ACV Scalping Method....

If there are any other scalping methods, Would love the insight on how to develop and learn to code, etc.

Sincerely,

JC
    Central Florida
    JCBLESS@aol.com

#42     Jul 16, 2006
  3. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

Been awhile since I posted.

I don't have time to go into detail....but will explain a little more on how I use the ACV.

Personally....I Do Not want the ACV....as an Indicator. All I want is the Data. The "2-1" ratio....or Higher....is something I came up with many years ago....when I really started Scalping....so the 2-1 ratio is not something that is set in stone….the higher the better.

"ishallreturn99" makes some valid points. "ishallreturn99" uses Neoticker....and I use TradeStation for charting. I have no interest at this time in doing any programming in or switching to Neoticker. Having said that....I am sure Neoticker is definitely ahead of TradeStation....when it comes to programming and manipulating data.

As I said....I am a Scalper....love Scalping. I will trade a Trend....stay in longer....but I need proof that a Trend is developing....otherwise I stick to Scalping. If the Trend is “smooth”….I may stay in longer….if the Trend is “jagged”….I may Scalp the Trend. I adjust to what the market shows me.

The ACV works great for me....as long as I don't get greedy. I usually trade 4 contracts....go for 2 ticks. My feeling is this. It is much easier to get one tick than it is to get two ticks....and it is much easier to get two ticks than it is to get three ticks....and on and on. I do not like being exposed to the market any longer than I have too.

The most important thing for me....when trading....is not my Indicators....not the ACV....not the charts....etc……..it is my Discipline....based on some Strict Rules....for trading....that is what makes the difference in my trading. The ACV is just another tool to use. I don’t care how much money a trader has….if they are not Disciplined….they will eventually lose….I know first hand….been there….done that. I am sure I said this in some other post. When I travel….I trade from a Starbucks….never open a chart….trade using the ACV only. The reason I can do this successfully is….because I follow a Disciplined plan….for trading….with the ACV only. I never vary from my plan.

The reason I started this thread....was to show other traders....another use for the Dome....the ACV....something they may not have thought about. The ACV....needs to be used "carefully"....just watch it....study it....see what the market is doing when the ACV values reach 2 to 1 ratios or higher.

Someone asked if I will be doing another Webinar. Don't know right now....NinjaTrader has not asked me to do another Webinar. There were many traders who could not get into the last Webinar....which was filled to capacity. So….it is totally up to NinjaTrader.

We are working on our Indicators for Ninja….but on a part-time basis….for now. I really don’t have much time to work on them. We do have part-time help….for the programming….but it is not our top priority.

I am currently in the Carlsbad, California area….helping another trader. After I am finished here….I will be in the Oxnard, California area….helping a couple of traders….until the end of July. Just had an idea. While I cannot do it on this trip to California….I do go to La Jolla….Solana Beach….Carlsbad area quite often. If there are any traders in that area….who would like to meet at a Starbucks….we can trade together….charts or no charts. Will show how I use the ACV….total Freebie….better than a Webinar….haha. I enjoy meeting and helping other traders. Just PM me….if you are interested. I may be back down on vacation….toward the end of August. Since I trade while on vacation….you are welcome to join me. The Starbucks in Solana Beach is big….good seating….if you get there early.

You can also contact me by:

MSN Messenger: Viper

Good trading to all….and enjoy living life.

Bill
    (in beautiful Seattle)
    VSTscalper

#43     Jul 16, 2006
  4. Bill,
    There is one VERY SERIOUS caution in using ACV that you aren't telling people.
    The longer the ACV ratio stays at 2:1 or greater, or if it increases to over 3 and beyond, the greater the chance of a sudden and severe reversal.
    I have PROVEN this in NeoTicker by charting the data and analyzing it.
    If someone is using only Ninja or a "streaming application, they will be fine if they dont get greedy and keep getting in and going to the well too often in any given short period for these 2-tick scalps. I actually got SEVERELY burned by trying to get my 5th or 6th 2-tick scalps within the same run....all of a sudden, a lost 12 ticks after having gained 8. Don't be cute and pretend that doesnt happen, IT DOES AND WILL. So people need to be cautioned that the behavior follows that pattern. If you can follow the ACV continually and only scalp for the 2-3 ticks 1 or 2 times when it FIRST hits 2:1 or greater, then I agree with Bill that it is a workable method. But the big warning that he keeps not telling people about is that you must do it only when the initial ACV total gets to 2:1 after just being neutral or less than 2:1, and then you must not be a pig and go back to the well more than a couple or 3 times, unless there are other confirmations of an actual trending move. Again, I want to thank Bill for his generous contributions to the community and to myself personally.
    W

#44     Jul 16, 2006
  5. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

ishallreturn99,

I am not trying to be "cute"....nor am I "pretending" anything. The purpose of this thread....is to make traders aware of the ACV. Traders can make their own decision on using it or not. If they think there is some value in using it....that is their individual decision. If they think it is not worth using....again....that is their decision.

I can tell traders how I use it....but....as I said....they should watch it....study it....it is not my responsibility to do anymore than what I have done.

As far as NeoTicker goes....I have had a few individuals....trying to push NT on me. Not saying you are....but some are....and personally....I could care less about NT's capabilities. There are some ex-TradeStation users....now pushing NeoTicker....in the TradeStation Forum. I have been approached many times. I use TradeStation....NinjaTrader....and J-Trader....and that is what I will continue to use.

Use the ACV....or don't use it....I really don't care. Not here to argue with anyone. All I really need to be concerned about is....the ACV works for me. Until I started this thread....there wasn't much talk about the ACV.

If traders in this thread or forum....think I am misleading them....I will quit posting....that simple.

VSTscalper

#45     Jul 16, 2006
  6. Guys, this is all very interesting and I'm learning a lot here, being a non-scalping n00b still.
    But somehow I seem to miss a very basic principle here that seems to recur in all threads about scalping.

First, on this thread it appears that you all find it obvious to go short when the ACV is >2:1 in favor of the bidside. This is very counterintuitive to me.

Second, in the nice .doc that VSTscalper gave us in his first post, when commenting the 2nd dome, he sees a large block on the offer side, which tells him that "the sellers are trying to stop the downtrend". Again, this is counterintuitive to me: how would you stop a downtrend by adding orders to the offerside? (And also, why would a seller want to stop a downtrend.)

Because something so contrary to my intuition seems to be so obvious to you lot, I assume it must be something very basic I'm missing here. I would be very grateful if someone could close that gap.
    (As a background, I'm not a scalper currently, doing short index straddles and some slow intraday swinging. For the latter I use buttontrader, so scalping is under my fingers :p .)

Thanks for any help,

Ursa..

#46     Jul 16, 2006
  7. My sentiments exactly. I've read this thread over and over thinking I gotta be missing something. Can I be this lost and expect to ever be successful? Say it ain't so!:confused:

#47     Jul 16, 2006
  8. Guys, and Bill,
    I dont give a rats ass what program you use. And I'm not "pushing" any particular charting platform over another. There's no need to get so defensive and threaten to take your ball and go home. Hell, if Tradestation could actually chart the ACV then I would say fine, use that, why would I care what program you or anyone else uses? It's not like I get paid by Neo.... In a spirit of HELPING others, which is what you claim to be doing, my POINT was that use of the ACV IS valid for scalping. I was AGREEING with you Bill, I just wanted to let people know that there is a risk factor that you DIDNT mention, and that is when the ratio's get to and stay at 2:1 or greater for an extended period...the reason I wanted to caution people is that if they only use a streaming platform to watch it (as opposed to a charting application, which can track it's history, and no I don't care WHICh platform that is) then they may not have a frame of reference to be able to see that the ratio has in fact been at 2:1 for an extended period, which in my testing really suggests an imininent reversal.
    Rather than getting defensive and acting like a big baby, try to grasp what I was offering to people for free by way of real-life testing on the historical merits and drawbacks of using the ACV. Like you, I don't care if people use it or not either, I'm just posting my personal findings to date based on my CHARTING of the actual data streams and their correlation with prices, which you did NOT do.
    W

#48     Jul 17, 2006
  9. And Captain Obvious,
    You are 100% right - it IS counterintuitive.
    But just chart the streams of data, and you will see that it is 100% right, with the caveats I have mentioned...don't take my word for it, watch the streams in an app like Ninja or J-Trader or button-trader, or chart them in any app that CAN chart them (forgive me if I mention that Tradestation CANT DO IT but Neo can).
    W

#49     Jul 17, 2006
  10. Is this just an observation based on experience, and/or standard lore amongst scalpers, or is it based on some explainable mechanism in the market. If so, please do (explain).
    I mean, you're saying that when at the market and someone comes in with a truckload of oranges I should start buying oranges, because the price will probably rise?? ? ?? :confused:

Or does the truck only arrive when someone wants us to think there is plenty oranges to make prices drop, but NO, we won't fall for that hoax? Then again, how do we know we aren't doubly double-crossed.

Interesting, I would appreciate you kneeling down to my level and explain some of this this to me and many more interested bystanders.

Ursa..

#50     Jul 17, 2006